Showing a property of Abelian groups of order n

In summary, The homework statement states that if k is relatively prime to the order of a group G, then the subgroup generated by a is equal to the subgroup generated by ak. The Attempt at a Solution notes that the group of integers module n has [k] as a generator for any k such that (n,k)=1.
Mr Davis 97

Homework Statement

Let G be an abelian group of order n, and let k be an nonnegative integer. If k is relatively prime to n, show that the subgroup generated by a is equal to the subgroup generated by ak

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm not sure where to start. I know that we are equating two sets, so I think that I need to show that one is a subset of the other and vice versa, but I can't see where to use the fact that G is abelian and that k is relatively prime to n.

Physics news on Phys.org
Mr Davis 97 said:
I need to show that one is a subset of the other and vice versa
One of those directions is very easy, and doesn't need to use the 'relatively prime' property. Which one?

Write out the answer to that easy direction and you may find that it gives you ideas about how to complete the opposite direction, noting that you almost certainly will need to use the relatively prime property for that opposite direction. If you get stuck, hints may be forthcoming.

So I think I might have an answer. First, we note that any element of <a^k> is also an element of <a>, by the definition of <a>. So <a^k> is a subset of <a>.

Second, we need to show that <a> is a subset of <a^k>, that is, any element of <a> is also an element of <a^k>.
First we take note that n, the order of the group, and k, are relatively prime. That is, there exist integers b and c s.t. bk + cn = 1, which implies that for any integer m, (mb)k + (mc)n = m.
Take an arbitrary element of <a>, ##a^m##. Then ##a^m = a^{(mb)k + (mc)n} = a^{(mb)k} a^{(mc)n} = (a^{mb})^{k} (a^{n})^{mc} = (a^{mb})^{k} e = (a^{mb})^{k}##. Hence, any element of <a> is also an element of <a^k>. Thus, <a> is a subset of <a^k>.

Thus, <a> = <a^k>, when k is relatively prime to the order of the group.

Is this right?

In fact, when (k,n)=1 where n is the order of <a>, a^k is a generator of <a>, by the same reasoning you did. So, <a>= <a^k> automatically. It is equivalent to the fact that the group of the integers module n has [k] for a generator for any k such that (n,k)=1.

Looks correct, although it would be better to write ##(a^{mb})^k=(a^k)^{mb}## because you want to have powers of ##a^k##.

Likes Mr Davis 97

1. What is an Abelian group of order n?

An Abelian group of order n is a mathematical structure consisting of a set of n elements and a binary operation (usually denoted as "+") that follows the commutative property, meaning that the order of the elements does not affect the result of the operation.

2. How do you show that a group has the Abelian property?

To show that a group has the Abelian property, we need to prove that for any two elements a and b in the group, a + b = b + a. This can be done by using the properties of the group's operation and the given order of the elements.

3. What are some examples of Abelian groups of order n?

Some examples of Abelian groups of order n include the group of integers under addition modulo n, the group of rational numbers under addition, and the group of real numbers under addition. Any cyclic group of order n is also an Abelian group.

4. How do Abelian groups of order n differ from non-Abelian groups?

The main difference between Abelian and non-Abelian groups is the commutative property. In non-Abelian groups, the order of the elements does affect the result of the operation, while in Abelian groups, it does not. Additionally, non-Abelian groups may have other properties, such as associativity and identity elements, that are not required for Abelian groups.

5. What are the applications of Abelian groups of order n in science?

Abelian groups of order n have many applications in science, particularly in the fields of physics, chemistry, and computer science. They are used to model symmetry in physical systems, describe the behavior of particles in quantum mechanics, and create secure encryption algorithms in computer science.