Showing that dihedral 4 is isomorphic to subgroup of permutations

In summary: Only ask what the elements in these groups are and how multiplication is defined on them. Is there any difference between the two sides of ##\tau : D_4 \hookrightarrow \mathcal{Sym}(4)## ? Or what is ##\tau^{-1}(\tau (a) \circ \tau (b))## ?The difference between the two sides is that the first has a multiplication by ##1## on the left side and by ##-1## on the right side. The second has a multiplication by ##-1## on the left side and by ##1## on the right side.
Mr Davis 97

Homework Statement

D4 acts on the vertices of the square. Labeling them counterclockwise
starting from the top left as 1, 2, 3, 4, find the corresponding homomorphism
to S4.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I am not completely sure what the question is asking. It's pretty clear to see which elements of D4 would correspond to which permutations of S4, so am I being asked to just list which elements of D4 correspond to which permutations of S4? How would I prove the the resulting map is a homomorphism? It seems like it would be tedious to check all values to see if the homomorphism property is always satisfied.

Physics news on Phys.org
Mr Davis 97 said:

Homework Statement

D4 acts on the vertices of the square. Labeling them counterclockwise
starting from the top left as 1, 2, 3, 4, find the corresponding homomorphism
to S4.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I am not completely sure what the question is asking. It's pretty clear to see which elements of D4 would correspond to which permutations of S4, so am I being asked to just list which elements of D4 correspond to which permutations of S4?
That's how I see it. In the end, it's all about how you define ##D_4##. E.g. it can be defined as the group generated by two elements ##r\, , \,s## with the relations ##r^2=s^2=(rs)^4=1## where it's not immediately obvious how the representation by a monomorphism ##\tau## to ##\mathcal{Sym}(4)## works.
How would I prove the the resulting map is a homomorphism? It seems like it would be tedious to check all values to see if the homomorphism property is always satisfied.
Yes, that's true. Of course you could simply look it up on Wikipedia, or you try to find an argument, why the structure is preserved, i.e. why ##\tau (a\cdot b) = \tau (a) \cdot \tau(b)## holds and why ##\tau## is injective.
The elements of ##D_4## are rotations by ##90°## and reflections along both middle axis of a square. So you have to find an argument, why two such operations in succession ##a\cdot b## map (via ##\tau##) to the same corresponding succession of permutations ##\tau (a) \cdot \tau(b)\,.##

Could the idea of group action help me out here?

Mr Davis 97 said:
Could the idea of group action help me out here?
Yes. Just make sure that it doesn't become a terminological overkill here. You don't need the entire apparatus of group operations.

Only ask what the elements in these groups are and how multiplication is defined on them. Is there any difference between the two sides of ##\tau : D_4 \hookrightarrow \mathcal{Sym}(4)## ? Or what is ##\tau^{-1}(\tau (a) \circ \tau (b))## ? The homomorphy lies already in the concept itself, if you define ##D_4## as a group of transformations instead of as a group with generators and relations. That's why I asked about the definition of ##D_4##. This determines the amount of work that has to be done. If you meant this by group action, then the answer to your question is yes.

1. How do you show that dihedral 4 is isomorphic to a subgroup of permutations?

To show isomorphism between two groups, we need to find a bijective homomorphism between them. In this case, we can define a mapping from the elements of dihedral 4 to the permutations of the vertices of a square. We can then show that this mapping preserves the group structure and is bijective, thus proving isomorphism.

2. What is the significance of dihedral 4 in mathematics?

Dihedral 4, also known as the symmetry group of a square, is a fundamental group in mathematics. It is used to study symmetries and transformations in various geometric shapes and is also important in the study of crystallography and group theory.

3. How do you find the generators of dihedral 4?

The generators of dihedral 4 are reflections and rotations. The two reflections are along the two diagonals of a square, and the two rotations are by 90 and 180 degrees, respectively. These four elements generate the entire group of dihedral 4.

4. What is the order of dihedral 4?

The order of a group is the number of elements in that group. In the case of dihedral 4, there are 8 elements, which can be seen by listing out all possible combinations of reflections and rotations.

5. How does the concept of isomorphism apply to dihedral 4?

Isomorphism is a way to compare and relate different groups. In the case of dihedral 4, we can show that it is isomorphic to a subgroup of permutations, which allows us to understand its structure and properties better. Isomorphism also helps in solving problems and making connections between seemingly unrelated mathematical concepts.