Showing two groups are *Not* isomorphic

In summary, the conversation discusses the isomorphism of direct sums of groups \mathbb{Z}_{4}\oplus \mathbb{Z}_{4} and \mathbb{Z}_{4}\oplus \mathbb{Z}_{2}\oplus \mathbb{Z}_{2}. The solution involves examining elements of order 4 in the groups and using the rule that the order of a direct sum element is the least common multiple of the orders of its components. It is concluded that (2,0) has order 2 in Z4 direct sum Z4.
DeldotB

Homework Statement

Good day,

I need to show:

[tex]\mathbb{Z}_{4}\oplus \mathbb{Z}_{4} [/tex]is not isomorphic to [tex]\mathbb{Z}_{4}\oplus \mathbb{Z}_{2}\oplus \mathbb{Z}_{2}[/tex]

Homework Equations

None

The Attempt at a Solution

I was given the hint that to look at the elements of order 4 in a group. I know [tex]\mathbb{Z}_{4}\oplus \mathbb{Z}_{4} [/tex] will have the elements: (0,0)(0,1)(0,2)(0,3)(1,0)(1,1)...(3,3).

Im a little confused on how to find the order of say (1,2) in [tex]\mathbb{Z}_{4}\oplus \mathbb{Z}_{4} [/tex].
I know how to find the order of say <3> in [tex]\mathbb{Z}_{4}[/tex] (order=4/gcd(3,4)=4) but how can I do it with the direct sum elements?

Thanks in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
Can anyone tell me this is correct:

In Z4 direct sum Z4, say we look at the element (2,0)
Since <2> has order 2 in Z4 and <0> has order one in Z4, it follows that (2,0) has order 2 because the lcm(2,1) is 2?

DeldotB said:
Can anyone tell me this is correct:

In Z4 direct sum Z4, say we look at the element (2,0)
Since <2> has order 2 in Z4 and <0> has order one in Z4, it follows that (2,0) has order 2 because the lcm(2,1) is 2?

Correct. The conclusion is clearly correct since (2,0)+(2,0)=(0,0). Try some others until you can see why that rule works.

Last edited:

Related to Showing two groups are *Not* isomorphic

1) How can you show two groups are not isomorphic?

To show that two groups are not isomorphic, you can look for differences in their properties such as size, structure, and elements. If there is even one difference between the two groups, they cannot be isomorphic.

2) What is the importance of showing two groups are not isomorphic?

Showing that two groups are not isomorphic is important because it helps us understand the unique properties of each group and how they differ from one another. It also allows us to classify groups based on their isomorphic properties.

3) Can two groups with the same order be isomorphic?

Yes, two groups with the same order can be isomorphic. However, it is not always the case, as there are many other properties that determine whether two groups are isomorphic or not.

4) What is the role of homomorphisms in showing two groups are not isomorphic?

Homomorphisms play a crucial role in showing two groups are not isomorphic. If there is no homomorphism between two groups, then they cannot be isomorphic. Homomorphisms preserve the structure and operation of a group, so if there is even one difference in the homomorphisms of two groups, they cannot be isomorphic.

5) Is there a general method for proving two groups are not isomorphic?

There is no general method for proving two groups are not isomorphic. It requires careful analysis and comparison of the properties of both groups. However, some common techniques include looking at the orders of the groups, finding differences in the subgroups and their structures, and examining the existence of homomorphisms between the two groups.