How can I convert sigma notation into a finite geometric series?

In summary: Can you find it and apply it to this summation?In summary, the conversation discusses a question involving sigma notation and a unit step function. The question involves solving for the summation of a finite geometric series with n + 1 terms.
A.J.710

Homework Statement

http://postimage.org/]Screen_Shot_2015_09_14_at_4_30_06_PM.png[/PLAIN]
image url

Homework Equations

N/A

The Attempt at a Solution

I have to solve a different question using a similar method to this one but I cannot figure out how they got the sigma notation into the last equation format. I tried writing out the summation manually as well as the equation substituting n for 0,1,2,3 but they don't match up and I cannot do my next problem without figuring this one out first.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
A.J.710 said:

Homework Statement

Screen_Shot_2015_09_14_at_4_30_06_PM.png[/PLAIN]
image url

Homework Equations

N/A

The Attempt at a Solution

I have to solve a different question using a similar method to this one but I cannot figure out how they got the sigma notation into the last equation format. I tried writing out the summation manually as well as the equation substituting n for 0,1,2,3 but they don't match up and I cannot do my next problem without figuring this one out first.
A little context would be helpful.

What are α and β? What does u[n] represent?

Last edited by a moderator:
SteamKing said:
A little context would be helpful.

What are α and β? What does u[n] represent?

α and β are just variables, there is no value to them in the question. u[n] is a unit step function basically making the function true at n > 0 and 0 at n < 0.

The original question is a convolution question x[n] * h[n] in linear systems but what is in the picture is all that is really involved. There is nothing else too it I could post.

In the summation, you have ##(\frac{\alpha}{\beta})^0 + (\frac{\alpha}{\beta})^1 + (\frac{\alpha}{\beta})^2 + \dots + (\frac{\alpha}{\beta})^n ##, which is a finite geometric series with n + 1 terms. There's a formula for the sum of a geometric series.

1. What is sigma notation?

Sigma notation is a mathematical notation that represents the sum of a series of numbers. It is denoted by the Greek letter sigma (Σ) followed by the expression to be summed, and the variable of summation. For example, Σn=1^5 2n represents the sum of 2n from n=1 to n=5, which is equivalent to 2+4+6+8+10=30.

2. How do I read sigma notation?

To read sigma notation, start by identifying the variable of summation (the letter after the sigma symbol) and the range of values that the variable takes on (the numbers below and above the sigma symbol). Then, plug in each value of the variable into the expression after the sigma symbol and add up the results. The final result is the sum of the series.

3. What are the limits of a sigma notation?

The limits of a sigma notation are the values that the variable of summation takes on. The lower limit represents the starting point of the series, while the upper limit represents the ending point. For example, in Σn=1^5 2n, the lower limit is 1 and the upper limit is 5, which means the series starts at n=1 and ends at n=5.

4. How do I simplify a sigma notation?

To simplify a sigma notation, you can use the formulas for arithmetic and geometric series. For arithmetic series, the sum of the series can be calculated using the formula Sn = n(a1+an)/2, where n is the number of terms, a1 is the first term, and an is the last term. For geometric series, the sum of the series can be calculated using the formula Sn = a1(1-r^n)/(1-r), where a1 is the first term, r is the common ratio, and n is the number of terms.

5. What are some real-life applications of sigma notation?

Sigma notation is commonly used in many fields of science and engineering, such as physics, chemistry, and economics. It can be used to represent the sum of a series of data points, such as the total force acting on an object or the total cost of a project. Sigma notation is also used in calculus to calculate the area under a curve, known as integration. Additionally, sigma notation is used in statistics to represent the sum of a sample of data points, which can then be used to calculate various measures of central tendency and variability.