Simple Beam Bending - Where am I going wrong?

In summary: F point force is the result of the downward acceleration of the beam, not just the weight of the object.In summary, the beam can withstand a maximum of 166 grams in weight, provided the force due to the acceleration is distributed over the entire beam mass.
skyturnred
beam bending problem.jpg

I am trying to find the width of a square hollow structural member that can withstand the forces above. However, my calculations are showing me that a square hollow aluminum tube of 4 mm by 4 mm with a wall thickness of 1/16 of an inch would be adequate, which I don't believe.

Is anyone able to see where I am going wrong? I believe it may be a units issue but I can't figure out why.

Thank-you in advance

Engineering news on Phys.org
1. Is the beam supposed to be accelerating? Most beam problems are computed assuming the beam is in static equilibrium.

2. Mixing SI and Imperial units is just asking for trouble. Pick one or the other, and stay consistent throughout your calculations.

3. It's unrealistic to design a structural member using a maximum allowable stress = yield stress, especially when that material is aluminum. Most allowable stresses in bending are typically limited to 0.6-0.66 * yield stress.

4. Your beam is analyzed as if it is simply supported at the ends. Is this a realistic support condition for this construction?

Likes skyturnred
Thank-you for the response.

1) Yes, the beam is accelerating. It will be part of a machine that will apply a maximum of 3.5 lbs-f upwards on both ends of the beam.

2) Thank-you

3) My intention was to design it to the maximum allowable stress and then simply double the dimensions of the beam to give myself a decent margin of safety. However I did not know about the 0.6*YS rule of thumb. That is very useful and I will use that in my calculations instead, and at the end will simply add on an extra 10% margin of safety.

4) the beam will be supported with 4 bolts in total (2 on each side). I will drill holes pointing in the direction of the x-axis. These holes will be on the ends of the beam. I simplified my problem because I intended to add enough of a margin of safety for it to be not as important.

I guess I should have been more clear in the goal.
The beam can be a maximum of 166 grams in weight, while providing enough strength to avoid yielding given the forces shown above.
If I use a square hollow structural tube of 1" x 1" x 1/16 ", it will weigh a total of 144 grams. I was just trying to see how much (if any) of a margin of safety a 1x1x1/16 aluminum 6063-T5 square hollow tube would provide.

If the ends if the beam are going to be bolted, then assuming simple support conditions is also not realistic. I would check the beam assuming

1. fixed conditions at each end.

2. adjust the moment of inertia to account for the removal of material to accommodate the bolts.

Where did the downward 3.5lbF point force come from? The force due to the acceleration will be a distributed load and will depend on total beam mass. If I've understood the situation correctly. That is.

1. What is simple beam bending?

Simple beam bending is a fundamental concept in engineering and mechanics that involves analyzing the behavior of a beam when it is subjected to external forces. It helps in understanding the deformation and stresses in a beam under various loading conditions.

2. What are the key assumptions made in simple beam bending?

The key assumptions made in simple beam bending are that the beam is straight, homogeneous, and isotropic, and the material follows Hooke's law. Additionally, the beam is assumed to be loaded slowly and the deflections are small compared to the beam's length.

3. What are the equations used in simple beam bending?

The equations used in simple beam bending are the Euler-Bernoulli beam equation, which relates the bending moment, the bending stress, and the beam's curvature, and the moment-curvature relationship, which relates the bending moment to the beam's curvature. These equations are used to calculate the deflections and stresses in the beam.

4. How do I know if I am going wrong in my simple beam bending calculations?

If you are going wrong in your simple beam bending calculations, your results may not match the expected values or may not make physical sense. Some common mistakes include incorrect input data, incorrect assumptions, and errors in applying the equations. It is important to double-check your calculations and seek guidance if needed.

5. What are some common applications of simple beam bending?

Simple beam bending has many practical applications, such as in the design of bridges, buildings, and other structures. It is also used in the analysis of mechanical components, such as beams, shafts, and frames. Additionally, it is a fundamental concept in the study of mechanics and structural engineering.