Simple but annoying characteristic of congruences

In summary, the conversation was about finding the remainder for 75 congruent to x (mod 21) using modulo arithmetic. The speaker initially set up the problem as 7 congruent to x (mod 21), but then realized that 7 was a multiple of 21 and considered taking into account negative numbers. They then simplified the problem to 75 congruent to 7 (mod 21) and discussed a possible relationship between 7 and 21 in terms of power. The conversation then shifted to a related question about RSA encoding and the remainder when 7 is raised to the power of 5.
trap101
I've been having this small problem with modulo arithmetic that's just irking me and this is the perfect example to get clarifivation

find the remainder for 75 congruent to x (mod 21)

here's my issue...so I'd set this up to solve and see if I could find this relationship

7[itex]\equiv[/itex] x (mod 21)...now 7 is a multiple of 21, but of course 21 doesn't divide 7 unless we take into account the negative numbers which would produce 7 [itex]\equiv[/itex] -12 (mod 21)...is this the right way to look at that?

the next thing I did and which made it easier was look at 72 [itex]\equiv[/itex] 7 (mod 21) ...now I have 75 [itex]\equiv[/itex] 7 (mod 21) when all is said and done...but the fact that I know 7 has a relationship with 21 is sitting uneasy with me...

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Don't know what's sitting uneasy with you. Sure, if 7^2=7 (mod 21) then 7^5=7 (mod 21).

Dick said:
Don't know what's sitting uneasy with you. Sure, if 7^2=7 (mod 21) then 7^5=7 (mod 21).

Well it has to do with an RSA encoding question, in order to encode my message which in this case is 7, I have to send the remainder when I raise 7 to the power of 5...which ended up being 7. Probably I'm just over thinking it

1. What is a congruence?

A congruence is a mathematical concept that describes the relationship between two objects or values that have the same size, shape, and orientation.

2. What is a simple but annoying characteristic of congruences?

One simple but annoying characteristic of congruences is that they can be difficult to determine without using specific mathematical tools or methods, such as modular arithmetic or geometric constructions.

3. How do congruences differ from equalities?

Congruences differ from equalities in that they are not absolute statements of equality, but rather a relationship between two objects or values that have the same attributes.

4. Can congruences be applied to any type of mathematical problem?

Yes, congruences can be applied to various mathematical problems, including geometry, number theory, and cryptography.

5. What are some real-world applications of congruences?

Congruences have many real-world applications, such as in architecture, where congruence is used to ensure that buildings have symmetrical and aesthetically pleasing designs. They are also used in engineering and manufacturing to ensure precise measurements and alignments.