Simple Calculation for Pressure Vessel Strain | 69.6 kPa Solution

In summary, the homework statement states that you need to calculate the hoop stress in terms of the pressure, and then use Hooke's law in its tensorial form to determine the pressure.
sponsoraw

Homework Statement

question.JPG

question 2.JPG

Homework Equations

equations.JPG

The Attempt at a Solution

Not sure if I'm on the right track here at all.

p=40*10-6*6*10-3*290*109/1=69600 Pa=69.6 kPa

Physics news on Phys.org
You used the equation ε=σ/E to calculate the hoop stress, but this approach is not correct because the state of stress is biaxial. You need to calculate the axial stress in terms of the pressure, and then use Hooke's law in its tensorial form to determine the pressure.

Chet

Chet, I might not understand it correct. The reason why I've used the hoop stress is that in the question the strain gauges are installed on the vessel to measure the hoop stress as hoop stress = 2x axial stress. Should I use the axial stress instead, why?

No. The problem is with the equation you used to get the hoop strain. In terms of the (unknown) pressure, your equation for the hoop stress is correct. You indicated that the axial stress is half the hoop stress. So, in terms of the (unknown) pressure p, what is the axial stress? What are the Hooke's law equations for the hoop stain and the axial strain in terms of the hoop stress and the axial stress (both equations involve both stresses)?

Chet

Chet, looks like I may need a bit more help.

sponsoraw said:
Chet, looks like I may need a bit more help.
Have you learned about the general form(s) of the Hooke's law relationship for multiaxial loading?

Chet

Will the hoop strain for a closed-end cylindrical pressure vessel be ε=(p*ri/t*E)*(1-v/2)? How do I get v?

sponsoraw said:
Will the hoop strain for a closed-end cylindrical pressure vessel be ε=(p*ri/t*E)*(1-v/2)? How do I get v?
Yes. Nice job. You need to look up the Poisson ratio for the pipe material. They give you the Young's modulus, but not the Poisson ratio?

Chet

Chet, thanks for you help with this. I've contacted the tutor and he accidentally forgot to include the Poisons ratio, it's v=0.3. It should be straight forward now, just need to make p the subject of the formula. I got p=(εEt)/[r(1-0.5v)].

Likes Chestermiller

Related to Simple Calculation for Pressure Vessel Strain | 69.6 kPa Solution

1. What is a pressure vessel's strain?

A pressure vessel's strain refers to the deformation or change in shape that occurs when it is subjected to pressure. This can be caused by internal pressure, external forces, or a combination of both.

2. How is the strain in a pressure vessel measured?

The strain in a pressure vessel is typically measured using strain gauges, which are sensors that can detect small changes in length or shape. These gauges are attached to the vessel and connected to a data acquisition system that records the measurements.

3. What factors can affect the strain in a pressure vessel?

Several factors can affect the strain in a pressure vessel, including the material properties of the vessel, the type and magnitude of the pressure, the design and construction of the vessel, and the operating conditions such as temperature and vibration.

4. How is the strain in a pressure vessel analyzed and evaluated?

The strain in a pressure vessel is typically analyzed and evaluated using various engineering and scientific methods, such as finite element analysis, stress analysis, and strain-stress curves. These methods help determine the safety and reliability of the vessel under different operating conditions.

5. What are the potential risks of excessive strain in a pressure vessel?

Excessive strain in a pressure vessel can lead to various risks, including structural failure, leaks, and explosions. It can also cause the vessel to become unstable and affect its performance and longevity. Therefore, it is crucial to monitor and maintain the strain within safe limits to ensure the safe operation of the vessel.