Simple Electrical Modeling Question (w/ only C and L)

In summary, the conversation discusses finding a differential equation for a circuit that only includes vin and vout as variables. The attempted solution involves breaking up the capacitor derivative and rearranging the terms, which is allowed according to a rule in calculus. The resulting differential equation is C(d2vout/dt2) + vout = LC(d2vin/dt2).
Bluestribute

Homework Statement

Find a differential equation that describes the circuit that includes only vin and vout as variables.

Homework Equations

C(dvin - dvout)/dt = i
vin - vout = L(di/dt)

The Attempt at a Solution

So the answer I got was:

C(d2vout/dt2) + vout = LC(d2vin/dt2)

My question is, is it allowable to break up the capacitor derivate like that? After substituting in for i, I got:

vout = Ld/dt(C(dvin - dvout)/dt)

Then I broke up the capacitor into vin and vout terms and just rearranged. But I'm not 100% sure if that's legal.

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    7.6 KB · Views: 360
Physics news on Phys.org
Bluestribute said:
So the answer I got was:

C(d2vout/dt2) + vout = LC(d2vin/dt2)
That first C should be LC.

A rule of the Calculus says that the derivative of a sum equals the sum of the separate derivatives, so your approach is correct.

Likes Bluestribute
Woopsie, right. LC

Ok sweet, thanks. I just can't remember something we might have glossed over a few years ago . . . and no one recently has said "You can do this to a derivative". They just sort of do it on their own.

Related to Simple Electrical Modeling Question (w/ only C and L)

1. What is the difference between a capacitor and an inductor?

A capacitor is an electrical component that stores energy in the form of an electric field, while an inductor is a component that stores energy in the form of a magnetic field. They have opposite effects on the flow of current, with a capacitor resisting changes in voltage and an inductor resisting changes in current.

2. Can a circuit have both a capacitor and an inductor?

Yes, a circuit can have both a capacitor and an inductor. In fact, many electronic circuits use both components to achieve desired effects such as filtering or frequency response.

3. How do capacitors and inductors affect the behavior of a circuit?

Capacitors and inductors affect the behavior of a circuit by storing and releasing energy, which can change the voltage and current in the circuit. They can also affect the frequency response of a circuit, as they have different impedance values at different frequencies.

4. What is the unit of measurement for capacitance and inductance?

The unit of measurement for capacitance is the farad (F), while the unit of measurement for inductance is the henry (H). Common subunits for both include micro (μ), nano (n), and pico (p).

5. How can I calculate the impedance of a circuit with only capacitors and inductors?

The impedance of a circuit with only capacitors and inductors can be calculated using the following formula: Z = √(XC2 + (XL - XC)2), where XC represents the capacitive reactance and XL represents the inductive reactance. Both of these values can be calculated using the equations XC = 1/(2πfC) and XL = 2πfL, where f is the frequency in hertz, C is the capacitance in farads, and L is the inductance in henrys.