Simple integral, can't get the right answer....

• Thread starter Addez123
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integral
In summary, the conversation discusses the integral $\int \frac y {x^2+y^2} dx$ and how it is different from $\frac 1 y * \int \frac 1 {\frac {x^2}{y^2} + 1} dx = \frac 1 y * atan(x/y)$. It is explained that the latter is correct and the former is wrong because the variable of integration, x, is the independent variable and y is the dependent variable. However, the mentor in the forum suggests another way to write the integral in order to avoid confusion.
Addez123
Homework Statement
$$\int \frac y {x^2+y^2} dx$$
Relevant Equations
Just math
$$\int \frac y {x^2+y^2} dx$$
$$\frac 1 y * \int \frac 1 {\frac {x^2}{y^2} + 1} dx = \frac 1 y * atan(x/y)$$

The answer is just atan(x/y), which you get using u-substitution but I honestly don't see why I don't get it doing it the normal way.

Physics news on Phys.org
It's because ##\displaystyle{\int} \dfrac{1}{\frac{x^2}{y^2} + 1} dx \neq \mathrm{arctan}\left( \dfrac{x}{y} \right)##. It would be correct to say, for example,\begin{align*}
\int \dfrac{1}{\frac{x^2}{y^2} + 1} dx = y \int \dfrac{1}{\frac{x^2}{y^2} + 1} d\left( \frac{x}{y} \right) = y\mathrm{arctan}\left( \frac{x}{y} \right)
\end{align*}

Last edited:
  • Skeptical
Likes Delta2, FactChecker, Orodruin and 2 others
It was already in standard integral format. Try differentiating your answer and you'll see that's not right.

Likes FactChecker
I don't understand this thread. According to the OP
Addez123 said:
Homework Statement:: ##I = { \large \int \frac y {x^2+y^2} } dx~\dots~##
Since
##{~~~~}x = \left \{ \begin{align} & \text {variable of integration } \nonumber \\ &~~ \text {and is therefore the} \nonumber \\ & ~\text {independent variable} \nonumber \end{align} \right \}~~\Rightarrow~## ##\left \{ \begin{align} & y = y(x)~\text {because}~y~\text {is} \nonumber \\ & \text {normally used as the} \nonumber \\ & ~ \text {dependent variable} \nonumber \end{align} \right \}##
then
##{~~~~}I = { \large \int \frac y {x^2+y^2} } dx~\Rightarrow~I = { \large \int \frac {y(x)} {x^2+y^2} } dx##
so that integration by parts, wherein the right-hand side is a function of the independent variable only, no longer applies. But according to the forum mentor in post #2,
ergospherical said:
##\dots##. It would be correct to say, for example,\begin{align*}
\int \dfrac{1}{\frac{x^2}{y^2} + 1} dx = y \int \dfrac{1}{\frac{x^2}{y^2} + 1} d\left( \frac{x}{y} \right) = y\mathrm{arctan}\left( \frac{x}{y} \right)
\end{align*}
indicating that ##~y~## is actually a constant since
##{~~~~}d \left( { \large \frac {x}{y} } \right) = { \large \frac {dx}{y} }~\Rightarrow~y { \large \int } \dfrac{1}{\frac{x^2}{y^2} + 1} d\left( { \large \frac{x}{y} } \right) = { \large \int } \dfrac{1}{\frac{x^2}{y^2} + 1} dx##
If that is the case, then the original integral should have been written as
##{~~~~}I = { \large \int \frac k {x^2+k^2} } dx~\Leftarrow~k = \rm {constant}##
right at the start, or early on a remark posted by people who know more, in order to avoid confusion and waste of time.

Likes Delta2

Related to Simple integral, can't get the right answer....

1. Why is it important to solve integrals?

Solving integrals is important because it allows us to find the area under a curve, which has many real-world applications. It also helps us to understand the behavior of a function and make predictions about its values.

2. What are the common methods for solving integrals?

The common methods for solving integrals include substitution, integration by parts, partial fractions, and trigonometric substitution. These methods involve manipulating the integral in different ways to make it easier to solve.

3. How do I know which method to use for a specific integral?

Choosing the right method for solving an integral depends on the form of the integrand. It is important to identify any patterns or familiar forms in the integral and then choose the appropriate method based on those. Practice and experience also play a role in determining the best method to use.

4. What are some tips for solving integrals?

Some tips for solving integrals include practicing regularly, being familiar with common integration techniques, and breaking the integral into smaller, more manageable parts. It is also helpful to check your answer by differentiating it to see if it matches the original integrand.

5. What should I do if I can't get the right answer for an integral?

If you are unable to get the right answer for an integral, it is important to check your work and make sure you have not made any mistakes. You can also try using a different method or seeking help from a tutor or classmate. It is also important to understand the concept behind the integral and practice more to improve your skills.