Simple Law of Cosines Question

• Thread starter Xarzu
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Law
In summary, the conversation discusses the construction of suspension bridges and the calculation of the distance between the tops of the towers. The Earth's roundness is taken into consideration, and the use of the law of cosines to determine the distance is mentioned. The use of the hyperbolic cosine for mathematical description is also suggested.
Xarzu

Homework Statement

Huge suspension bridges are build with the Earth's roundness in mind. The two towers are plumb line straight up and down and yet, because of their colossal size, they are a bit further apart at their tops than they are at their base. So, how can we calculate what this difference would be?

Here is the input data:

If we know the Earth's radius; the location of the base of the towers above sea level; The distance (from the center of each base of the tower) between the bases; and the height of the tower, how would we calculate the distance from the tops of the towers.

I made this video to explain what I am talking about but I want to have the mathematical formula to predict the distance differences between the tops of the towers compared to the base:
h t t p s : / / w w w . y o u t u b e . c o m / w a t c h ? v = 8 N u N g a 3 B p n s
I have seen a similar question answered once using something called "the law of cosines" where, if you know an angle and the length of two vectors, you can calculate the distances between the two vectors? I hope that helps and gives us a clue.

Physics news on Phys.org
Firstly, please do not advertise youtube channels on PF. I haven't had a closer look, as I don't click on them for principle reasons.
Secondly, do not delete the template or parts of it. Instead use it, especially the last part which is important.
Thirdly, the usual mathematical description is given by the hyperbolic cosine https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Catenary

Well, I will try this again.

What is the Simple Law of Cosines?

The Simple Law of Cosines is a trigonometric formula used to find the length of a side of a triangle when two sides and the included angle are known.

How is the Simple Law of Cosines different from the regular Law of Cosines?

The Simple Law of Cosines only requires knowledge of two sides and the included angle, while the regular Law of Cosines requires knowledge of all three sides of a triangle.

When should I use the Simple Law of Cosines?

The Simple Law of Cosines is most commonly used when trying to find the length of a missing side in a triangle, particularly in cases where the given information only includes two sides and an angle.

Can the Simple Law of Cosines be used for any type of triangle?

Yes, the Simple Law of Cosines can be used for any type of triangle, including right triangles, acute triangles, and obtuse triangles.

What is the formula for the Simple Law of Cosines?

The formula for the Simple Law of Cosines is c^2 = a^2 + b^2 - 2ab cos(C), where c is the length of the unknown side, a and b are the lengths of the known sides, and C is the included angle between the two known sides.