How Do You Calculate Permutations with Specific Color Constraints?

In summary, there are 5 ways to arrange the blue ball, 4 ways to arrange the red ball, and 3 ways to arrange the yellow ball. For the remaining 2 balls, there are 27 balls to choose from. Therefore, the total number of ways to align the 5 balls is 5*4*3*(27 Permute 2).
erogard
Hi, here's the question, I just need someone to confirm that I'm doing it right (been a while since my last stat class):

Let's say I have 30 balls all of different colors. I want to know in how many different ways I can align 5 balls picked at random (thus ordering matters). Note that one must be blue, one red and one yellow.

So let's start with the blue one. I have 5 different ways to arrange it (either place it first in line, or second, or third etc.). Then let's say I'm looking a the red one: I have 4 ways left to arrange it. Finally I have 3 slots left for the yellow one. Now for the remaining 2 balls, I still have 27 balls to choose from.

Would the answer be 5*4*3*(27 Permute 2)?

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
erogard said:
Hi, here's the question, I just need someone to confirm that I'm doing it right (been a while since my last stat class):

Let's say I have 30 balls all of different colors. I want to know in how many different ways I can align 5 balls picked at random (thus ordering matters). Note that one must be blue, one red and one yellow.

So let's start with the blue one. I have 5 different ways to arrange it (either place it first in line, or second, or third etc.). Then let's say I'm looking a the red one: I have 4 ways left to arrange it. Finally I have 3 slots left for the yellow one. Now for the remaining 2 balls, I still have 27 balls to choose from.

Would the answer be 5*4*3*(27 Permute 2)?

Thanks.

Yes.

What is a permutation?

A permutation is an arrangement of elements in a particular order. It is a mathematical concept used to describe the number of ways in which a set of objects can be arranged.

How is a permutation different from a combination?

A permutation takes into account the order of elements, while a combination does not. In a permutation, the arrangement of elements matters, while in a combination, it does not.

What is the formula for calculating permutations?

The formula for calculating permutations is n!/(n-r)!, where n is the total number of objects and r is the number of objects being chosen or arranged.

Can repetition be allowed in permutations?

Yes, repetition can be allowed in permutations. This type of permutation is called a permutation with repetition or a variation. In this case, an element can be chosen more than once for an arrangement.

What are some real-life applications of permutations?

Permutations are used in various fields such as statistics, genetics, and computer science. They can be used to calculate the number of possible outcomes in a game, genetic combinations in offspring, and different ways of arranging data in a computer program.