Simplify this term—best approach?

In summary, the conversation was about simplifying a quadratic form using normalization and finding an eigenbasis. There was confusion about a factor in the second term and a possible error in the value of √3. The conversation ended with a suggestion to bring the formula into a standard form and check for any sign errors.
ElectronicTeaCup
Homework Statement
$$
\left(x \sqrt{\left(\frac{3+\sqrt{13}}{2 \sqrt{13}}\right)}-y \sqrt{\frac{3-\sqrt{13}}{2 \sqrt{13}}}\right)^{2}-2\left(x \sqrt{\left(\frac{3+\sqrt{13}}{2 \sqrt{13}}\right)-y\left(\frac{3-\sqrt{13}}{2 \sqrt{13}}\right)}\right)\left(x \sqrt{\frac{3-\sqrt{13}}{2 \sqrt{13}}}-y \sqrt{\frac{3+\sqrt{3}}{2 \sqrt{13}}}\right)+4\left(x \sqrt{\frac{3-\sqrt{13}}{2 \sqrt{13}}}-y \sqrt{\frac{3+\sqrt{13}}{2 \sqrt{13}}}\right)^{2}-4=0
$$
Relevant Equations
Substituting in second order polynomial to rotate it to remove xy values. But this question is just to ask for a technique for simplifying.
I'm not sure how to simplify this without spending a lot of time on it. Is there a pattern that I need to weed out?
##x^{\prime 2}(5 / 2-\sqrt{13} / 2)+y^{\prime 2}(5 / 2+\sqrt{13} / 2)-4=0##

Physics news on Phys.org
You can write the quadratic form as ##(x.y)A(x,y)^\tau## with a ##2\times 2## matrix ##A## and then normalize ##A##, i.e. determine the eigenvectores, find an eigenbase, and use those vectors as new ##A##.

Look up: 'standard (normal) form of conic sections (quadratic equations)' or similar.

Is the first factor in the second term as you have it
$$\left(x \sqrt{\left(\frac{3+\sqrt{13}}{2 \sqrt{13}}\right)-y\left(\frac{3-\sqrt{13}}{2 \sqrt{13}}\right)}\right)$$or did you mean to write$$\left(x \sqrt{\left(\frac{3+\sqrt{13}}{2 \sqrt{13}}\right)}-y\sqrt{\left(\frac{3-\sqrt{13}}{2 \sqrt{13}}\right)}\right)~?$$

Likes archaic
kuruman said:
Is the first factor in the second term as you have it
$$\left(x \sqrt{\left(\frac{3+\sqrt{13}}{2 \sqrt{13}}\right)-y\left(\frac{3-\sqrt{13}}{2 \sqrt{13}}\right)}\right)$$or did you mean to write$$\left(x \sqrt{\left(\frac{3+\sqrt{13}}{2 \sqrt{13}}\right)}-y\sqrt{\left(\frac{3-\sqrt{13}}{2 \sqrt{13}}\right)}\right)~?$$
Oh yes, I meant the latter. Sorry for the confusion that it may have lead to.

I assume that ##\sqrt{3}## is an error, too. And I would definitely check all signs before carrying on: this is essential!

What you can do is bring into a form ##8\sqrt{13}=z_1x^2+2z_2xy+z_3y^2## with ##z_j\in \mathbb{C}## and transform it into a normal form where the axis of this ellipse in ##\mathbb{C}^2## are parallel to the coordinate axis.

The eigenvalues I calculated where awful if we were looking for an eigenbasis, which indicates that
  • there has been a sign error somewhere
  • the requested result is of the form shown above
  • the result is indeed complicated
  • I made a mistake

Last edited:
Likes ElectronicTeaCup
You do not seem to have written out your full formula. It might ir it might not be simpler if you do. What is there after the -2(x... ?

1. What does it mean to simplify a term?

Simplifying a term means to reduce it to its most basic or simplest form. This is often done in mathematics or science to make equations or expressions easier to understand and work with.

2. Why is it important to simplify terms?

Simplifying terms can make complex concepts or equations more manageable and easier to solve. It also helps to identify patterns and relationships between different terms.

3. What is the best approach to simplify a term?

The best approach may vary depending on the specific term and context. However, some general strategies for simplifying terms include factoring, combining like terms, and using mathematical rules and properties.

4. Can simplifying a term change its meaning?

In most cases, simplifying a term does not change its meaning. The goal is to make the term easier to work with without altering its value or significance. However, in some cases, simplifying may result in a different but equivalent expression.

5. Is there a limit to how much a term can be simplified?

There is no set limit to how much a term can be simplified. In some cases, a term may be simplified to its most basic form, while in others, it may still have some room for further simplification. It ultimately depends on the complexity of the term and the desired level of simplicity.