Simplifying a Rational Function with Intermediate Variables

In summary: You get: ##\displaystyle e^{-0.1}z^{-1}+e^{-0.2}z^{-1}+z^{-1}=0.##That's it!The answer is circled in red and was derived from the line above it. (picture attached)The Attempt at a SolutionLooks like a simple matter to apply FOIL and simplity, with due care in execution.Thats what i did but unfortunately i keep getting different values.show us the steps you takeI thought i could start with the easy part the denominator but then i don't know what to do with the Z's and end up as shown in picture, aaa my head hurts
Cosine12

Homework Statement

Hi, i have been trying to solve this equation for the past 2 hours but am not getting anywhere near the given answer. If anyone can solve this it would be greatly appreciated! Thank you.

Homework Equations

The answer is circled in red and was derived from the line above it. (picture attached)

The Attempt at a Solution

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2015-07-10 at 14.40.54.png
    Screen Shot 2015-07-10 at 14.40.54.png
    14.6 KB · Views: 507
Physics news on Phys.org
Looks like a simple matter to apply FOIL and simplity, with due care in execution.

Thats what i did but unfortunately i keep getting different values.

show us the steps you take

I thought i could start with the easy part the denominator but then i don't know what to do with the Z's and end up as shown in picture, aaa my head hurts lol.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2015-07-10 at 17.58.06.png
    Screen Shot 2015-07-10 at 17.58.06.png
    57.2 KB · Views: 443
Cosine12 said:
I thought i could start with the easy part the denominator but then i don't know what to do with the Z's and end up as shown in picture, aaa my head hurts lol.
just treat the z's like you would any other variable

Likes Cosine12
Am not getting anywhere with this tbh.. i think il leave this for now as i wasted too much time on it. Thanks for the help anyway.

Cosine12 said:
Am not getting anywhere with this tbh.. i think il leave this for now as i wasted too much time on it. Thanks for the help anyway.
as was previously stated use foil...
you should brush up on your algebra

My advice would be to sign up for a Wolfram Alpha account.

Its a great resource for helping with such problems.

Enter your equation, and you will get a step-by-step solution.

From there, you will be able to see how to do the algebra.

Cosine12 said:

Homework Statement

Hi, i have been trying to solve this equation for the past 2 hours but am not getting anywhere near the given answer. If anyone can solve this it would be greatly appreciated! Thank you.

Homework Equations

The answer is circled in red and was derived from the line above it. (picture attached)

The Attempt at a Solution

screen-shot-2015-07-10-at-14-40-54-png.85751.png

Actually, you're not solving an equation. This is just simplifying the given form for the function.

I suggest that you define some intermediate variables in order to simplify the look of this expression:
Let: ##\ a=e^{-0.1}z^{-1}\ ##, ##\ b=e^{-0.2}z^{-1}\ ##, ##\ c=z^{-1}\ ##.
Multiply the numerator & denominator by 2.​

You get: ##\displaystyle \ \frac{(1-a)(1-b)-2(1-a)(1-c)-(1-c)(1-a)}{2(1-a)(1-b)} \ . ##

Simplify that, then do the reverse substitution.

1. What is control engineering?

Control engineering is a branch of engineering that deals with the design, analysis, and implementation of systems to control the behavior of other systems. It involves using mathematical models, algorithms, and feedback systems to achieve desired outputs or behaviors.

2. What are the main components of a control system?

The main components of a control system are the plant, the controller, the sensors, and the actuators. The plant is the system being controlled, while the controller is the device that processes information and sends commands to the plant. Sensors measure the system's outputs, and actuators are used to adjust the inputs to the plant.

3. What is the difference between open-loop and closed-loop control?

In an open-loop control system, the output is not compared to the desired output, so there is no automatic correction of errors. In a closed-loop control system, the output is continuously monitored and compared to the desired output, and the controller adjusts the inputs accordingly to minimize errors.

4. What are some common applications of control engineering?

Control engineering is used in a wide range of applications, including robotics, aerospace systems, automotive systems, process control in industries, and home automation. It is also used in medical devices, power systems, and traffic control systems.

5. What are the main challenges in control engineering?

One of the main challenges in control engineering is designing a controller that can handle uncertainties and disturbances in the system. Another challenge is tuning the controller to achieve optimal performance without destabilizing the system. Additionally, control engineers must consider factors such as cost, reliability, and safety when designing control systems.