Simplifying Algebra: Grade 11 Maths Q

In summary: For example, in the first equation, the fraction in the parentheses (1/2) will cancel with the fraction in the second equation (8/1). Similarly, in the second equation, the fraction in the parentheses (4/x-1/x)/(4/x+1x) will cancel with the fraction in the first equation (4x-1)/x. In summary, this conversation is about simplifying fractions by cancelling out fractions in the parentheses.
jamie_23
I am in grade 11 mathematics...i got this as a Thinking & Problem Solving Q..can someone simplify this, step by step?

4 - 1/x
---------
4 + 1/x

THANKS!

Physics news on Phys.org
You need to show us some of your work or thoughts on the problem.

Here's a hint. Clear the fractions first.

ok..the way i thought was taking the negative reciprocal of the denominator..
making it (4-1/x)(4-1/x)
---------------
(4+1/x)(4-1/x)
=16-8 1/x+1/x^2
----------------
16-1/x^2

does that work?
I haven't been taught how the clear the fractions.

Sure you have... Just think about it for a bit. What would you multiply top and bottom by?

jamie_23 said:
ok..the way i thought was taking the negative reciprocal of the denominator..
making it (4-1/x)(4-1/x)
---------------
(4+1/x)(4-1/x)
=16-8 1/x+1/x^2
----------------
16-1/x^2

does that work?
Simplifying should never change the outcome of an equation. You can therefore check if your simplification is correct by letting x equal any number. The original and simplified equations will produce the same answer if the simplification is correct.

So, let x=2
Your first equation gives (4 - 1/2) / (4 + 1/2) = .77778
Your simplified equation gives (16 - 8/2 + 1/4) / (16 - 1/4) = .77778

So your simplification is correct however it is probably not a "simplification". It looks more complex. What Integral is saying is that you can get rid of a fraction by multiplying it (and all other parts of the equaion by the denomonator of the fraction. This is particularly usefull if you have the same problem in multiple parts fo the equation.

For example, (1 + 1/x) / (2 + 3/x) can be simplified by multiplying both the top and bottom lines by x (the denomonator of the fraction).

You then get (x + 1) / (2x + 3) - much simpler form than the original.
You can then multiply by the reciprical if you wish (gives you (-2x^2 + x + 3) / (-4x^2 + 9) ) but it is not as simple is it?

For the same reason as multiplying by the reciprical, multiplying both parts by the denomonator does not change the outcome of the equation because x/x = 1

jamie_23 said:
I am in grade 11 mathematics...i got this as a Thinking & Problem Solving Q..can someone simplify this, step by step?

4 - 1/x
---------
4 + 1/x

THANKS!

If I understand this correctly, (4-1/x)/(4+1/x)

I'm not going to asnwer the question for you. But let's look at something simplier. (1/2)/(1/8) to make things simple multiply the two together like this (1/2) * (8/1) = (8/2) or 4. Just flip the bottom term upside (take the reciprocal) & multiply. Hope that helps.

first, [tex] (4-1/x)/(4+1/x)[/tex] common denominators maybe?
[tex](4/x-1/x)/(4/x+1x)[/tex]
than
[tex][(4x-1)/x]/[(4x+1/x)][/tex]
Multiply by the recpricoal of the denominator now... Can you see?

You should see that some things will cancel.

Related to Simplifying Algebra: Grade 11 Maths Q

1. What is simplifying algebra?

Simplifying algebra involves reducing, combining, and rearranging algebraic expressions to their simplest form. This is done by applying the rules of algebra, such as the distributive property, combining like terms, and using order of operations.

2. Why is simplifying algebra important?

Simplifying algebra allows us to solve equations and expressions more easily and efficiently. It also helps us to identify patterns and relationships between different algebraic expressions, making it a valuable tool in problem-solving and critical thinking.

3. How do you simplify algebraic expressions?

To simplify algebraic expressions, you must follow the order of operations (PEMDAS) and apply the rules of algebra, such as combining like terms and using the distributive property. It is also helpful to use basic algebraic identities, such as the commutative and associative properties, to rearrange the terms in an expression.

4. Can you give an example of simplifying algebra?

One example of simplifying algebra is reducing the expression 3x + 2x + 5x to its simplest form. First, we can combine the like terms (3x, 2x, and 5x) by adding their coefficients, resulting in 10x. Therefore, the simplified form of the expression is 10x.

5. Are there any tips for simplifying algebra?

Some tips for simplifying algebra include identifying and canceling out common factors, using the distributive property to remove parentheses, and combining like terms. It is also important to carefully follow the order of operations and double-check your work to avoid any mistakes.