SImplifying logarithmic functions

Keep in mind that they want you to simplify the expression, not simplify the answer.In summary, the expression log base 2 x^2*y^3 can be simplified to 2 log base 2 x + 3 log base 2 y, or in other words, log base 2 x^2 + log base 2 y^3, by using the property of logarithms that allows us to split the product inside the logarithm into separate terms with the same base. This is the simplified form of the expression and no further simplification is necessary.
j9mom
1. Homework Statement [/

Simplify: log base 2 x^2*y^3

Homework Equations

I know that log base 2 x^2 * y^3 is log base 2 x^2 + log base 2 y^3

The Attempt at a Solution

Here is what I thought:

2 log base 2 x + 3 log base 2 y But that does not seem to be simplified, it seems to be more complicated. Is there something else I should have done?

Physics news on Phys.org
j9mom said:
1. Homework Statement [/

Simplify: log base 2 x^2*y^3

Homework Equations

I know that log base 2 x^2 * y^3 is log base 2 x^2 + log base 2 y^3

The Attempt at a Solution

Here is what I thought:

2 log base 2 x + 3 log base 2 y But that does not seem to be simplified, it seems to be more complicated. Is there something else I should have done?

No, I don't think so. That looks correct and I think it's what they want. Instead of
"simplify" they probably should have said "express ##log_2 (x^2 y^3)## in terms of ##log_2 x## and ##log_2 y##".

Likes 1 person
Don't be surprised if in the very next question they ask you simplify

[tex]3\log_2{x}-2\log_2{y}[/tex]
or something equivalent, and you're expected to produce the result

[tex]\log_2{\frac{x^3}{y^2}}[/tex]

Just keep in mind that simplify in this context usually means to take it from one extreme to the other. Leaving the answer to your question "in between" the two extremes at [itex]\log_2{x^2}+\log_2{y^3}[/itex] would be incorrect.

Likes 1 person

Related to SImplifying logarithmic functions

What is a logarithmic function?

A logarithmic function is a mathematical function that represents the relationship between logarithms and their corresponding exponential values. It can be written as y = logb(x), where b is the base and x is the argument.

Why do we need to simplify logarithmic functions?

Simplifying logarithmic functions helps to make them easier to work with and understand. It also allows us to solve equations or perform operations involving logarithms more efficiently.

How do you simplify a logarithmic function?

To simplify a logarithmic function, we use logarithmic properties such as the power rule, product rule, and quotient rule. These rules allow us to rewrite expressions and combine terms in order to simplify the function.

What is the difference between a simplified and unsimplified logarithmic function?

A simplified logarithmic function has been rewritten to have the fewest number of terms and operations possible. An unsimplified logarithmic function may have multiple terms and operations that can be combined or simplified further.

Can all logarithmic functions be simplified?

Yes, all logarithmic functions can be simplified using logarithmic properties. However, some logarithmic functions may already be in their simplest form and do not require further simplification.