Simplifying Trig Identities

In summary, the length of the curve r(t) = cos^3(t)j+sin^3(t)k, 0 =< t <= pi/2 can be found using the equation AL in polar = ∫sqrt(r^2 + [dr/dθ]^2). To simplify the terms within the square root, you can use the equations r^2 = (cos^3(t))^2 + 2 cos^3(t)sin^3(t) + (sin^3(t))^2 and dr/dθ = 3(cos(t)^2)sin(t) + 3(sin(t)^2)cos(t). Further simplification can be achieved by using the equation sqrt(cos^3(t
mill

Homework Statement

The length of the curve r(t) = cos^3(t)j+sin^3(t)k, 0 =< t <= pi/2
is

Homework Equations

AL in polar = ∫sqrt(r^2 + [dr/dθ]^2)

The Attempt at a Solution

I am having trouble simplifying the terms within the square root. What method should I use to deal with the pieces?

r^2 = (cos^3(t))^2 + 2 cost^3(t)sin^3(t) + (sin^3(t))^2

dr/dθ = 3(cos(t)^2)sin(t) + 3(sin(t)^2)cos(t)

[dr/dθ]^2 = 9[cos^4(t)sin^2(t) + 2cos^3(t)sin^3(t) + sin^4(t)cos^2(t))

sqrt(cos^3(t))^2 + 2 cost^3(t)sin^3(t) + (sin^3(t))^2 + 9[cos^4(t)sin^2(t) + 2cos^3(t)sin^3(t) + sin^4(t)cos^2(t))

Simplified a bit:

sqrt(1 + 4cos^3(t)sin^3(t) + 9 cos^4(t)sin^4(t) +9sin^4(t)cos^2(t))

How would I further simplify from this?

Physics news on Phys.org
There seem to be some inconsistencies in your notation.
From the equation for r(t), I guess j and k are unit vectors, so r(t) is a vector. But your equation for arc length treats r as a scalar. This seems to have led to an error here:
##r^2 = (\cos^3(t))^2 + 2 \cos^3(t)\sin^3(t) + (\sin^3(t))^2##

haruspex said:
There seem to be some inconsistencies in your notation.
From the equation for r(t), I guess j and k are unit vectors, so r(t) is a vector. But your equation for arc length treats r as a scalar. This seems to have led to an error here:
##r^2 = (\cos^3(t))^2 + 2 \cos^3(t)\sin^3(t) + (\sin^3(t))^2##

Oh, I see. Thanks.

What are trigonometric identities?

Trigonometric identities are mathematical expressions that involve trigonometric functions and are always true regardless of the values of the variables involved.

Why is simplifying trig identities important?

Simplifying trig identities can make solving trigonometric equations easier and can also help in proving more complex identities.

How do I simplify trig identities?

To simplify trig identities, you can use algebraic manipulations, trigonometric identities, and the unit circle to convert trigonometric functions into simpler forms.

What are some common trig identities?

Some common trig identities include the Pythagorean identities, double angle identities, half angle identities, and sum and difference identities.

What is the difference between simplifying and verifying trig identities?

Simplifying trig identities involves simplifying a given expression, while verifying trig identities involves proving that a given identity is true using algebraic manipulations.