Simulate open circuit and short circuit in MATLAB

In summary, to get the correct answer, you need to use the open-circuit voltage (Voc) as the parameter when calculating the Isc and Vt values instead of the field current. The Isc and Vt values are determined by the machine parameters and the Voc, and using the same Voc value for each calculation will give you the correct results.
Fatima Hasan
Homework Statement
Written below.
Relevant Equations
-
attempt.png

attempt.png

Here's my attempt:
attempt.png

attempt.png

attempt.png

The results I got are close to the required answer, but there is a question telling:
attempt.png

I tried to solve it, but Isc and Vt (in open circuit) are decreasing with the increase of the field current , so I didn't get the right answer. Could someone let me know where is my mistake ?
Here's the machine parameters :
attempt.png

attempt.png

attempt.png

Attachments

• attempt.png
    attempt.png
    26.8 KB · Views: 114
Physics news on Phys.org
Ra = 0.2ohmX1 = 4ohmX2 = 2ohmXm = 3ohmYour mistake is in the way you calculated the Isc and Vt values. Instead of using the field current as a parameter to calculate these values, you should use the open-circuit voltage (Voc) as the parameter. The Isc and Vt values are determined by the machine parameters and the Voc. For example, if the Voc is 10V, then the Isc will be equal to the Voc divided by the sum of the Ra and X1 values (10V/6ohm=1.67A). Similarly, the Vt can be calculated as the Voc multiplied by the Xm value (10V*3ohm=30V). Therefore, when calculating the Isc and Vt values, you should use the same Voc value for each calculation. This way, you will get the correct results.

1. What is an open circuit in MATLAB?

An open circuit in MATLAB is a circuit in which there is no complete path for current to flow. This can be simulated by setting the resistance of the circuit to infinity, effectively breaking the circuit and preventing any current from flowing.

2. How do you simulate an open circuit in MATLAB?

To simulate an open circuit in MATLAB, you can use the "infinity" keyword to represent infinite resistance. This can be done by setting the resistance value in the circuit to "inf".

3. What is a short circuit in MATLAB?

A short circuit in MATLAB is a circuit in which there is a very low resistance, resulting in a large amount of current flowing through the circuit. This can be simulated by setting the resistance of the circuit to 0, allowing current to flow freely.

4. How do you simulate a short circuit in MATLAB?

To simulate a short circuit in MATLAB, you can set the resistance value in the circuit to 0, allowing for a large amount of current to flow through the circuit. This can be done by using the value "0" for the resistance.

5. Why is it important to simulate open and short circuits in MATLAB?

Simulating open and short circuits in MATLAB is important because it allows for the analysis and testing of different circuit designs without physically constructing them. This can save time and resources, and also allows for the identification of potential issues in a circuit before it is built. It also allows for a better understanding of how different components and values affect the overall performance of a circuit.