Sin inequality proof , ##0 \leq 2x/\pi \leq sin x##

In summary, the conversation is about how to show the inequality ##0 \leq \frac{2x}{\pi} \leq sin x ## for the range ## 0 \leq x \leq \pi /2 ##. The other person suggests showing that ##\sin x - \frac 2 {\pi} x \ge 0## on that interval, possibly using the Maclaurin expansion of ##\sin x##. They also mention that drawing a graph could be a helpful starting point.
binbagsss

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Hi

How do I go about showing ##0 \leq \frac{2x}{\pi} \leq sin x ##?

for ## 0 \leq x \leq \pi /2 ##

I am completely stuck where to start.

Many thanks.

(I see it is a step in the proof of Jordan's lemma, but I'm not interested in this, and the proofs I find do not explain this actual step, ta).

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
binbagsss said:

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Hi

How do I go about showing ##0 \leq \frac{2x}{\pi} \leq sin x ##?
This isn't true in general. If ##x > \pi/2##, the expression in the middle is larger than 1.

BTW, surround your TeX expressions with either ## (inline) or $$ (standalone) at beginning and end. A single $ character doesn't do anything.
I edited your earlier post to fix this.
binbagsss said:

Many thanks.

(I see it is a step in the proof of Jordan's lemma, but I'm not interested in this, and the proofs I find do not explain this actual step, ta).

Mark44 said:
This isn't true in general. If ##x > \pi/2##, the expression in the middle is larger than 1.

BTW, surround your TeX expressions with either ## (inline) or $$ (standalone) at beginning and end. A single $ character doesn't do anything.
I edited your earlier post to fix this.

edited to include range of x

sorry I am aware of that for latex, running low on caffeine ! ta

Try showing that ##\sin x - \frac 2 {\pi} x \ge 0## on that interval, possibly using the Maclaurin expansion of ##\sin x##.

binbagsss said:

Many thanks.

Draw a graph! That's a good place to start.

Related to Sin inequality proof , ##0 \leq 2x/\pi \leq sin x##

1. What is the meaning of "Sin inequality proof"?

The sin inequality proof refers to a mathematical proof that demonstrates the inequality relationship between the sine function and a given expression. In this case, the expression is 0 ≤ 2x/π ≤ sin x.

2. How is the inequality 0 ≤ 2x/π ≤ sin x derived?

The inequality can be derived using various mathematical techniques, such as trigonometric identities and properties of inequalities. It involves manipulating the given expression until it is in a form that can be easily compared to the known values of the sine function.

3. What does the inequality 0 ≤ 2x/π ≤ sin x represent?

This inequality represents the relationship between the angle x (measured in radians) and the values of the sine function. It shows that for any value of x, the expression 2x/π will always be less than or equal to the value of sin x, which ranges from 0 to 1.

4. Can the inequality be proven for all values of x?

Yes, the inequality can be proven for all values of x. This is because the properties and behavior of the sine function are consistent and well-defined for all real numbers. Therefore, the inequality holds true for any value of x, regardless of its magnitude.

5. How is the inequality useful in mathematics and science?

The inequality serves as an important tool in various mathematical and scientific contexts. It can be used to prove other mathematical theorems and to solve problems in fields such as physics, engineering, and statistics. It also helps in understanding and visualizing the behavior of the sine function, which has many applications in the natural world.