Sleep Patterns of Physics/Engineering Students

• Thread starter Alem2000
  • Start date
In summary, Moonbear sleeps for 10 hours each day and doesn't study or do homework. He plays pool league one night a week and watches TV for 3 to 6 hours a week.
Alem2000
what about the z's ??

I am a physics major in my second year and I wanted to know how other physics/engineering students manage their sleep. Basically I was wondering how other students sleep patterns are and how it works out for them.

Physics news on Phys.org
It's been a while since I've been a student, but I think that's one thing that never changes. I would guess that most students aren't managing to get enough sleep.

Moonbear how many hours do you sleep??

I get up at 3:30 am every day and do homework until I need to start getting ready for school, usually around 9 or 10 am. After school, I work a few days a week and every Saturday for a total of 23 hours, work goes till 7 pm weekdays and 11 am to 4 pm Saturdays. I'm usually in bed by 10 pm, 11 at the latest, but I like to try and get to sleep by 8 or 9 a couple times a week when possible.

This schedule may seem crazy to some, but I've always been a morning person. Getting only 4 to 5 hours sleep doesn't bother me as long as I can catch up once in awhile with a 7 to 8 hour night. I've never been able to sleep more then 10 hours at a time, and that's only when I was sick.

Since going back to school, I only hit the bar to play on a pool league one night a week. I haven't played a computer game in months and I watch about 3 to 6 hours of TV per week and rent the occasional movie.

I can't remember where I saw it, possibly on this forum somewhere, but it was a great post. It basically said, being an engineering student (or any science major really) means that you will be working on equations and writing reports while your friends are playing xbox and going to parties.

thats nice Schedule...

Hmm, so I guess sleep is just something I have to get over. I know some people that allmost never catch up on their sleep and do very well in school. But I read an article somewhere that said if you don't sleep 8 hrs you won't be able to think creatively.

Alem2000 said:
Hmm, so I guess sleep is just something I have to get over. I know some people that allmost never catch up on their sleep and do very well in school. But I read an article somewhere that said if you don't sleep 8 hrs you won't be able to think creatively.

TRUE!

You need 8 hours.

I work 25-27 hours a week and I get no less than 8 hours a day, unless I do something stupid and only get 6-7 hours. I normally sleep 10 hours the next day to make up for it. I rarely study or do homework, but I will start now.

I'm a math major, and I personally think sleep is more important than studying. People study way too damn much. :eek:

Get your sleep. :zzz: Have a great day at school. :biggrin:

Related to Sleep Patterns of Physics/Engineering Students

1. What is the average amount of sleep a physics/engineering student gets?

The average amount of sleep for physics/engineering students is around 6-7 hours per night. However, this can vary depending on individual schedules and workload.

2. How does sleep deprivation affect a student's academic performance?

Sleep deprivation can greatly impact a student's academic performance. Lack of sleep can lead to difficulty concentrating, memory problems, and decreased cognitive abilities. This can result in lower grades and overall academic performance.

3. Do physics/engineering students have different sleep patterns compared to students in other fields?

Studies have shown that physics/engineering students tend to have different sleep patterns compared to students in other fields. They often have irregular sleep schedules due to long hours spent on coursework and projects.

4. How does caffeine consumption affect the sleep patterns of physics/engineering students?

Caffeine consumption can have a significant impact on the sleep patterns of physics/engineering students. While it may help them stay alert and focused during the day, consuming caffeine too close to bedtime can disrupt their sleep and make it difficult for them to fall asleep.

5. What are some strategies for improving sleep patterns for physics/engineering students?

Some strategies for improving sleep patterns for physics/engineering students include creating a consistent sleep schedule, avoiding caffeine and electronics before bedtime, and incorporating relaxation techniques such as meditation or deep breathing. It is also important for students to prioritize their workload and make time for rest and relaxation in order to avoid burnout and improve their overall sleep patterns.