Sliding Rod and Rotating Disc Question

In summary, a uniform rod of length L and mass m1 is connected to the center of a uniform disc of radius R and mass m2. The system, released from rest at an angle of 45 degrees, is placed in a vertical plane with a frictionless pin joint and wall and the disc rolls without slipping on the horizontal ground. The free-body diagrams for the rod and disc can be drawn, and the acceleration of point B at the instant of release can be found by using equilibrium to calculate the static friction force acting on the ground and the angular acceleration of the disc. This can then be used to relate the acceleration of point A to that of point B using the formula [a] + w×(w×[r][/(
aerograce

Homework Statement

A uniform rod AB of length L and mass m1 is connected by a pin joint to the center of a
uniform disc of radius R and mass m2.
The system is placed in a vertical plane (as shown in Figure 2) and released from rest with
θ=45°.
(a) Draw the free-body diagrams for the rod and the disc.
(b) Find the acceleration of the point B at the instant when the system is released.
You may assume that the pin joint and the vertical wall are frictionless, and the disc rolls
without slipping on the horizontal ground.

Homework Equations

T=Iα;
[a][/B]=[a][/A] + w×(w×[r][/(B/A)]+w'×[r][/(B/A)]

The Attempt at a Solution

My attempt is to first use equilibrium to calculate the static friction force acting on the ground and then through fR=T=Iα to calculate the angular acceleration of point A. This will then help us obtain acceleration of A. Then use the above formula to relate acceleration of B to acceleration of A. But I realize this may be untrue since the system is not in equilibrium initially.

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    9.6 KB · Views: 391
Physics news on Phys.org
aerograce said:
I realize this may be untrue since the system is not in equilibrium initially.
Quite so, that will not work.
Did you draw the free body diagrams?
List the forces acting on each (including directions).
Let the initial angular acceleration of the disk be ##\alpha##. What is its horizontal acceleration?
What accelerations does that imply for the rod?
What equations can you write down relating these accelerations to the forces?

Hello. I have drawn free body diagram as follow. The horizontal acceleration of a will be α*R. And this acceleration can be related to point B with formula
[a][/B]=[a][/A] + w×(w×[r][/(B/A)]+w'×[r][/(B/A)]. But I think when I write down equations, I discover too many unknowns to be solved. Could you explain a bit more to me? Thank you so much for your time

Attachments

• Photo 16-11-15, 16 15 04.jpg
    Photo 16-11-15, 16 15 04.jpg
    30.6 KB · Views: 380
aerograce said:
Hello. I have drawn free body diagram as follow. The horizontal acceleration of a will be α*R. And this acceleration can be related to point B with formula
[a][/B]=[a][/A] + w×(w×[r][/(B/A)]+w'×[r][/(B/A)]. But I think when I write down equations, I discover too many unknowns to be solved. Could you explain a bit more to me? Thank you so much for your time
You should have six unknowns: four normal forces, a frictional force and an acceleration. (Or maybe more accelerations, but they're all determinable by anyone of them.)
There are six equations: X, Y and moments for each of the two objects. Should be enough.

haruspex said:
You should have six unknowns: four normal forces, a frictional force and an acceleration. (Or maybe more accelerations, but they're all determinable by anyone of them.)
There are six equations: X, Y and moments for each of the two objects. Should be enough.

May I know, when writing the rotational equilibrium equation, should I list moment equilibrium about its center of gravity? I am confused because since center of gravity of the link AB is not a fixed point, if write moment equilibrium about its center of gravity, the angular acceleration has to be about its center of gravity too, but the center of gravity itself is moving. This sometimes confuses me when exam questions ask me to decide angular acceleration or angular velocity of a certain link, I find it not a correct expression coz it didnt specify angular acceleration or velocity about which point.

Hope you can clarify my doubts! Thank you so much

aerograce said:
May I know, when writing the rotational equilibrium equation, should I list moment equilibrium about its center of gravity? I am confused because since center of gravity of the link AB is not a fixed point, if write moment equilibrium about its center of gravity, the angular acceleration has to be about its center of gravity too, but the center of gravity itself is moving. This sometimes confuses me when exam questions ask me to decide angular acceleration or angular velocity of a certain link, I find it not a correct expression coz it didnt specify angular acceleration or velocity about which point.

Hope you can clarify my doubts! Thank you so much
I assume you did not mean 'equilibrium' here.
In a dynamic set-up, safest is to take moments about a point fixed in space. Taking moments of forces acting on a rigid body about that body's mass centre should also be fine, as is taking moments about the body's instantaneous centre of rotation. Anything else may produce a wrong answer. See section 5 in https://www.physicsforums.com/insights/frequently-made-errors-mechanics-moments/

What is the Sliding Rod and Rotating Disc Question?

The Sliding Rod and Rotating Disc Question is a physics problem that involves a rod that can slide along a horizontal surface and a disc that can rotate around a vertical axis. The goal of the question is to determine the position and velocity of the rod as it slides down the disc.

What are the main principles involved in solving the Sliding Rod and Rotating Disc Question?

The main principles involved in solving the Sliding Rod and Rotating Disc Question are conservation of energy and conservation of angular momentum. These principles help to determine the relationship between the position and velocity of the rod as it slides down the disc.

What are the assumptions made when solving the Sliding Rod and Rotating Disc Question?

One of the main assumptions made when solving the Sliding Rod and Rotating Disc Question is that there is no friction between the rod and the disc. This allows for easier calculations and a simpler solution. Additionally, it is assumed that the rod and disc are rigid bodies and that the mass of the rod is negligible compared to the disc.

What are the steps involved in solving the Sliding Rod and Rotating Disc Question?

The first step in solving the Sliding Rod and Rotating Disc Question is to draw a free-body diagram of the system and identify all the forces acting on the rod. Next, you can use the conservation of energy and conservation of angular momentum equations to determine the relationship between the position and velocity of the rod. Finally, you can solve the resulting equations to find the values for position and velocity at any given point.

What are some real-world applications of the Sliding Rod and Rotating Disc Question?

The Sliding Rod and Rotating Disc Question has many real-world applications, such as in the design of amusement park rides and roller coasters. It is also used in the study of rotational motion and conservation of energy, which are important concepts in physics and engineering. Additionally, this question can be applied to the motion of objects on a horizontal surface, such as a car driving on a curved road.