Snells law problems in a prism

• Thread starter totomyl
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Law Prism
In summary, the Homework Statement asks for an alternative method to find the angle of incidence from a prism to the air.
totomyl

Homework Statement

it is the third question:
IMG_20161002_172724.jpg

Attempt

IMG_20161002_173241.jpg

Here is my attempt at the question, i got up to the point where i need to find the angle of incidence from the prism to the air, but i don't know how to do that. The solution page says to use 60o minus the angle of refraction i just calculated, but i don't know why we need to do that.

if you could please tell me why we use that or how we get the angle from the prism to the air, that would be very helpful. thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
The statement of the problem does not match the numbers that you are using. Setting that aside, you can find the angle of incidence by bringing into the picture the upper triangle formed by the top apex of the prism, by the point where the ray enters the prism and the point where it exits the prism. You already know that one angle is 60o. You can relate the other two angles to the angle of refraction, which you already know, and the exit of angle that is the unknown.

An alternative method is to note that the two normals meet in the interior of the prism at an angle of 120°. Use the triangle Δabc formed by the normals and the light ray.

upload_2016-10-2_18-35-4.png

Likes totomyl
gneill said:
An alternative method is to note that the two normals meet in the interior of the prism at an angle of 120°. Use the triangle Δabc formed by the normals and the light ray.

View attachment 106850
could i ask how you got the 120 when both of the normals meet? this is where my geometry skills come in i assume.

totomyl said:
could i ask how you got the 120 when both of the normals meet? this is where my geometry skills come in i assume.
Yes. It's just a matter of transferring angles around various reference lines and intersections. Erect a few verticals to create triangles and reference lines. Use the fact that triangle angles sum to 180 and complimentary angles to 90. See if you can't "transfer" the prism's base angles to where b is in the diagram (erect a vertical through b to divide the angle there into two parts). Give it a try.

Likes totomyl
From geometry what is the sum of the interior angles of a 4-sided figure?

Likes totomyl and gneill
gneill said:
Yes. It's just a matter of transferring angles around various reference lines and intersections. Erect a few verticals to create triangles and reference lines. Use the fact that triangle angles sum to 180 and complimentary angles to 90. See if you can't "transfer" the prism's base angles to where b is in the diagram (erect a vertical through b to divide the angle there into two parts). Give it a try.
i see, thank you for the help i think i can work out the rest on my own now. this was very helpful and will be useful for future reference.

1. What is Snell's Law?

Snell's Law is a principle in optics that describes the relationship between the angle of incidence and the angle of refraction when light passes through a boundary between two different mediums, such as air and glass.

2. How do I solve Snell's Law problems in a prism?

To solve Snell's Law problems in a prism, you will need to know the index of refraction for the two mediums that the light is passing through (usually air and the material the prism is made of). Then, using the equation n1sinθ1 = n2sinθ2, where n1 and n2 are the respective indices of refraction and θ1 and θ2 are the angles of incidence and refraction, you can calculate the angle of refraction.

3. What is the index of refraction?

The index of refraction is a measure of how much a material bends light as it passes through it. It is defined as the ratio of the speed of light in a vacuum to the speed of light in the material.

4. What is the critical angle in Snell's Law?

The critical angle is the angle of incidence at which the angle of refraction is 90 degrees. This occurs when light is passing from a medium with a higher index of refraction to a medium with a lower index of refraction. Beyond this angle, the light will undergo total internal reflection.

5. Why is Snell's Law important?

Snell's Law is important because it helps us understand how light behaves as it passes through different mediums. It is also used in many practical applications, such as designing lenses and prisms, calculating the path of light in fiber optics, and understanding the behavior of light in water and other transparent materials.