So, what is the best organic chemistry book?

In summary, there are several highly recommended textbooks for different subjects such as Spivsk for Calculus, Kleppner and Morin for Physics, and Pauling for General Chemistry. These books are known for their rigorous and in-depth approach to conceptual understanding. However, there is no clear consensus on the best textbook for Organic Chemistry, with some recommending Maitland Jones' Organic Chemistry as a helpful resource. Online resources have also been discussed as alternatives to textbooks for learning chemistry.
Caravan
For Calculus, there is Spivsk.

For Physics, there is Kleppner and Morin.

For General Chemistry, there is Pauling.

All of these books are introductory, and focus on hardcore conceptual understanding. They are widely received as the most rigorous and best way to learn these subjects.

Now, what about Organic Chemistry? What is the Pauling of Organic Chem?

Last edited:
Chemistry news on Phys.org
I'm no expert on textbooks, but I used Maitland Jones' 4th edition of Organic Chemistry and I found it to be extremely helpful.

There is no one, simple answer to that question, as different approaches work for different people.

As far as I am aware we have discussed at PF various web resources for learning chemistry, but not books. However, they were discussed here:

http://www.chemicalforums.com/index.php?topic=2414.0

1. What is the best organic chemistry book for beginners?

The best organic chemistry book for beginners is "Organic Chemistry" by Paula Yurkanis Bruice. It provides a comprehensive introduction to the subject with clear explanations, helpful illustrations, and practice problems.

2. What is the best organic chemistry book for advanced studies?

The best organic chemistry book for advanced studies is "Organic Chemistry" by Jonathan Clayden, Nick Greeves, and Stuart Warren. It covers all the major topics in depth and includes advanced concepts and mechanisms.

3. Is "Organic Chemistry as a Second Language" a good supplement to a textbook?

Yes, "Organic Chemistry as a Second Language" by David Klein is a highly recommended supplement to any organic chemistry textbook. It breaks down complex concepts and provides helpful tips and practice problems to reinforce understanding.

4. Are there any free online resources for learning organic chemistry?

Yes, there are many free online resources for learning organic chemistry, such as Khan Academy, MIT OpenCourseWare, and Organic Chemistry Tutor on YouTube. These resources offer video lectures, practice problems, and other helpful materials.

5. What is the best way to study organic chemistry?

The best way to study organic chemistry is to actively engage with the material through practice problems, flashcards, and group discussions. It is also important to review regularly and seek help from a tutor or professor when needed.