Sodium carbonate vs sodium bicarbonate

In summary: The whole process of early Chemistry was pretty arcane and (just as today) very painstaking. The mass spectrometer is a very handy modern tool and, as it's a piece of Physics, it takes my fancy, compared with bottles and balances.
Rajini
TL;DR Summary
Identification of sodium carbonate and bicarbonate
Dear all,
How to identify sodium carbonate and sodium bicarbonate? I have these two powders, and did not label.
Thanks for your reply.
Cheers, Rajini

Chemistry news on Phys.org
They even look differently, but it would be hard to describe. Perhaps dissolve a bit in water and measure pH, the difference should be quite substantial - something below 9 for bicarbonate and around 11 for carbonate.

Likes chemisttree, berkeman and jim mcnamara
Rajini said:
TL;DR Summary: Identification of sodium carbonate and bicarbonate

Dear all,
How to identify sodium carbonate and sodium bicarbonate? I have these two powders, and did not label.
Thanks for your reply.
Cheers, Rajini
This takes me back more than fifty years. My ex-wife tried sodium carbonate in a recipe for scones. They tasted of soap!! Daft thing was that we tried three times before realising what was our mistake!!!
I bet the taste test would give the answer without adding in the cooking phase.
I don't believe that my suggestion is, in any way, unsafe and I don't suggest a spoonful size sample = just a finger-tip size.

• Wow
Likes symbolipoint
Thanks! I think I need to buy pH paper. Thanks for your suggestions.
Regards,
Rajini.

Likes berkeman
Rajini said:
TL;DR Summary: Identification of sodium carbonate and bicarbonate

Dear all,
Thanks for your reply.
Cheers, Rajini
Both will fizz if a sample of each is mixed with an acid (using vinegar, maybe). They each will give a different titration curve, so at least if you are in a fitting laboratory situation, you'll find a suggestion of two endpoints for the carbonate, and one endpoint for the bicarbonate. (That is, titrating with an acid titrant.)

chemisttree said:
Thats right. A little of both in individual test tubes…. heat gently with bunsen burner. The one that seems to “boil” is the bicarb.
To complete the 'School' experiment, the gas that bubbles off could be collected in an inverted tube ('downward displacement of water') and it will extinguish a burning match etc.
An inverted funnel will collect all the bubbles to where you want them.

Just out of curisity, why is it bicarbonate if there is only the one?

Vanadium 50 said:
Just out of curisity, why is it bicarbonate if there is only the one?
He has both materials.
TL;DR SummaryIdentification of sodium carbonate and bicarbonate
Dear all,
Thanks for your reply.
Cheers, Rajini

I was unclear. Why is it called bicarbonate, especially since there is only one carbonate?

Vanadium 50 said:
Just out of curiosity, why is it bicarbonate if there is only the one?
The OP's notation is 'old fashioned' and it's what I learned at School. The Bi, ate, ite, ide etc. parts of the name are a code to tell what's what but it's limited and not intuitive. I was told this by a school lab tech not long ago. There is a new system which is more complicated but describes much more complex compounds. This link has many examples of formulae and common names. It doesn't seem to have any logic to me except for very simple compounds. No doubt the PF Chemists will put name right.

• Informative
Likes symbolipoint
Bicarbonate because compared to carbonate it appears to have twice the ratio of carbonate to sodium.

Carbonate CO3:Na ratio = 1:2
Bicarbonate CO3:Na ratio = 1:1

Imagine the difficulty of analyzing for that hydrogen in an aqueous solution without modern instruments?

Likes Vanadium 50
Same is true of the sodium salt of bisulfite (HSO3)- and sulfite (SO3)-2.

chemisttree said:
Same is true of the sodium salt of bisulfite (HSO3)- and sulfite (SO3)-2.
The whole process of early Chemistry was pretty arcane and (just as today) very painstaking.
The mass spectrometer is a very handy modern tool and, as it's a piece of Physics, it takes my fancy, compared with bottles and balances.

What is the difference between sodium carbonate and sodium bicarbonate?

Sodium carbonate (Na2CO3) and sodium bicarbonate (NaHCO3) are two different chemical compounds with different chemical and physical properties. Sodium carbonate is a white, odorless solid with a melting point of 851°C, while sodium bicarbonate is a white, crystalline solid with a melting point of 50°C. They also have different chemical formulas and molecular weights. Sodium carbonate is commonly known as washing soda, while sodium bicarbonate is commonly known as baking soda.

What are the uses of sodium carbonate and sodium bicarbonate?

Sodium carbonate is commonly used in the production of glass, detergents, and paper. It is also used in water softening, as a food additive, and in the production of certain chemicals. Sodium bicarbonate is commonly used in baking, as a cleaning agent, and as an antacid for heartburn and indigestion. It is also used in fire extinguishers and in certain medical treatments.

Can sodium carbonate and sodium bicarbonate be used interchangeably?

No, sodium carbonate and sodium bicarbonate cannot be used interchangeably. They have different chemical properties and therefore have different uses. For example, sodium carbonate is a stronger base than sodium bicarbonate, so it is more effective in cleaning and water softening. In baking, sodium bicarbonate produces carbon dioxide gas, which causes dough to rise, while sodium carbonate does not have this property.

Are sodium carbonate and sodium bicarbonate safe to consume?

Sodium carbonate and sodium bicarbonate are generally safe to consume in small amounts. However, consuming large amounts of either compound can lead to adverse effects. Sodium carbonate can cause stomach upset, vomiting, and diarrhea, while sodium bicarbonate can cause bloating, gas, and electrolyte imbalances. It is important to follow recommended guidelines for consumption of these compounds.

Are there any environmental concerns with sodium carbonate and sodium bicarbonate?

Both sodium carbonate and sodium bicarbonate are considered safe for the environment. However, excessive use or release of these compounds into the environment can have negative effects. Sodium carbonate can increase the pH of water, which can harm aquatic life. Sodium bicarbonate can also affect the pH of water, as well as contribute to eutrophication (excessive growth of algae) in bodies of water. It is important to use these compounds responsibly and dispose of them properly.