How Many Winding Layers Are Needed for a 1 Tesla Solenoid?

• Thread starter maximus123
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Solenoid
In summary, the conversation discusses designing an electromagnet with specific specifications and determining the minimum number of winding layers needed. The equation B = μ(N/l)I is used to calculate the number of layers, and the conversation addresses clarification on certain factors such as wire material and voltage. The final answer is determined to be 23 layers, which is a large number due to the high magnetic induction field of 1 T.
maximus123
Hello,
The problem I am struggling with is this

You are designing an electromagnet capable of producing a magnetic induction field of 1 T
by winding a solenoid around a long cylinder. A solenoid is typically wound by starting
at one end of the cylinder and placing loop after loop directly next to each other. Once
the other end of the cylinder is reached the first winding layer of the solenoid is complete
and the next layer is started by again placing loop after loop next to each other. You are
using [itex]300 \mu m[/itex] diameter wire and the current needed to reach 1 T should not exceed 10 A.
What is the minimum number of winding layers required?

So I start with this equation
[itex]B=\mu \frac{N}{l} I[/itex]​

It seems that there is information missing in the question, such as the material of the wire and the material of the core so I suppose I should just choose which as it doesn't matter really as they will just be values which can be plugged in later. From the information in the question I am guessing I need to use the diameter of the wire to find the length [itex]l[/itex] of the solenoid. I think the length of the solenoid is the number of loops multiplied by the diameter of the wire, [itex]N[/itex] x [itex]d=l[/itex] but substituting this into the Ampere's law gives

[itex]B=\mu \frac{1}{d} I[/itex]​

I'm not sure that I've gone the right way here as in this expression there isn't anything I don't know. I've tried using the expression for resistance of a wire which includes the length of the wire and the area but since I only have the current in the Ampere's law expression using the resistance expression will introduce a voltage which I have not been given, eg
[itex]R=\frac{\rho L}{A}=\frac{4 \rho L}{\pi d^2}[/itex]​
Then substituting this into ampere's law
[itex]B=\mu \frac{N}{l} \frac{V \pi d^2}{4 \rho L}[/itex]​
Getting the voltage in my expression doesn't seem to help my cause much so I am out of ideas. Any help with how I could proceed or where I may be going wrong would be greatly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi.
You don't need to concern yourself with wire material, voltage or resistivity here since the current you need to work with is a given: 10A. Also, the magnetic field in the solenoid doesn't really depend on the length of the solenoid but on the density N/L which, for a single layer, the value of the wire's diameter allows you to determine as you did (1/d). As for permeability, if you need a numerical result and it's not specified otherwise i'd simply use the vacuum one, but you can indeed plug that in the end...

Hi,

Thanks for the response. So do you mean that from this equation;
I would find [itex]d[/itex] when [itex]I=10[/itex] and [itex]B=1[/itex] and take that value of [itex]d[/itex] to mean the depth of wire in that situation, then divide by the diameter of the wire (as given in the question) to give the number of layers?

If that is it then the problem I have is that [itex]d[/itex] for the overall solenoid comes out as smaller than the [itex]d[/itex] for the wire quoted in the question and since it would be several layers thick it should be several multiples of the wire's diameter.

Thanks again

maximus123 said:
I think the length of the solenoid is the number of loops multiplied by the diameter of the wire, [itex]N[/itex] x [itex]d=l[/itex]

Wouldn't the length of the solenoid be the number of loops in one layer times the diameter of the wire?

maximus123 said:
Hi,

Thanks for the response. So do you mean that from this equation;

That is the equation for the B field for one layer. But you want k layers. k can be non-integer.

In which case

[itex]kB=1 \small{\text{ Tesla}}[/itex] where [itex]B[/itex] is for one layer​
so

[itex]k=\frac{1}{B}=\frac{d}{\mu I}=\frac{300 \text{ x }10^{-6}}{1.26 \text{ x }10^{-6}\text{ x }10}=23.8095 \small{\text{ layers}}[/itex]​

Does this look right? 23 layers seems a big number but then again 1 tesla is also big.

maximus123 said:
In which case

[itex]kB=1 \small{\text{ Tesla}}[/itex] where [itex]B[/itex] is for one layer​
so

[itex]k=\frac{1}{B}=\frac{d}{\mu I}=\frac{300 \text{ x }10^{-6}}{1.26 \text{ x }10^{-6}\text{ x }10}=23.8095 \small{\text{ layers}}[/itex]​

Does this look right? 23 layers seems a big number but then again 1 tesla is also big.

Looking good! I got exactly the same number. And your reasoning is sound. 1 Tesla from a solenoid without a high-permeability (large μ) core is indeed a very large B field.

Excellent, thanks a lot to everyone.

1. What is a solenoid?

A solenoid is a type of electromagnet that consists of a coil of wire wrapped around a metal core. When an electric current is passed through the coil, it creates a magnetic field that can be used to control the movement of other objects.

2. How does a solenoid work?

A solenoid works by converting electrical energy into mechanical energy. When an electric current is passed through the coil, it creates a magnetic field which attracts or repels the metal core, causing it to move. This movement can be used for various purposes, such as opening or closing valves, or moving objects.

3. How many layers does a solenoid coil have?

The number of layers in a solenoid coil can vary depending on the size and purpose of the solenoid. Typically, a solenoid coil will have between 10-20 layers of wire wrapped around the metal core.

4. What factors affect the number of layers in a solenoid?

The number of layers in a solenoid coil can be affected by several factors, such as the desired strength of the magnetic field, the size of the solenoid, and the amount of current being passed through the coil. In general, larger solenoids with stronger magnetic fields will require more layers of wire.

5. Can the number of layers in a solenoid be changed?

Yes, the number of layers in a solenoid can be changed by adding or removing wire from the coil. This can be done manually or through the use of a variable resistor, which can adjust the amount of current flowing through the coil and therefore change the strength of the magnetic field.