How Do You Calculate the Volume of a Solid of Revolution Bounded by x^2 and y^2?

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the volume of a region bounded by two functions rotated about a given line. The method of washers is used, but there is a mistake in the outer radius calculation which is corrected in the end.
PhizKid

Homework Statement

Volume of the region bounded by y = x^2 and x = y^2 about y = 1

Homework Equations

[itex]\pi r^2[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

So the functions look something like this:

ICX4Rud.png

I decided to use method of washers with respect to x.

The radius if the center is at y = 1 of the washers is going to be [itex]\sqrt{x} - x^2[/itex] and the inside space is going to have a radius of [itex]1 - \sqrt{x}[/itex]. So we want to subtract these 2 volumes:

[itex]\pi\int_{0}^{1}(\sqrt{x} - x^2)^2 dx - \pi\int_{0}^{1}(1 - \sqrt{x})^2 dx[/itex]

So I get:

[itex]\pi\int_{0}^{1}(\sqrt{x} - x^2)^2 dx - \pi\int_{0}^{1}(1 - \sqrt{x})^2 dx \\
\pi\int_{0}^{1}(x - 2x^{\frac{5}{2}} + x^4) - (1 - 2x^\frac{1}{2} + x) dx \\
\pi\int_{0}^{1}(-2x^{\frac{5}{2}} + x^4 - 1 + 2x^\frac{1}{2}) dx \\
\pi[(\frac{-4}{7}x^{\frac{7}{2}} + \frac{x^5}{5} - x + \frac{4}{3}x^\frac{3}{2})]_{0}^{1} \\
\pi(-\frac{4}{7} + \frac{1}{5} - 1 + \frac{4}{3}) \\
\pi\frac{-4}{105}[/itex]

Not sure how I get a negative number. What did I do wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
PhizKid said:
I decided to use method of washers with respect to x.

The radius if the center is at y = 1 of the washers is going to be √x - x2 and the inside space is going to have a radius of [itex]1 - \sqrt{x}[/itex].
I don't think the outer radius is correct. We want the distance from the curve y = x2 to the line y = 1. Shouldn't it be 1 - x2?

Oh, I was using the wrong radius...thanks, I see it now

Related to How Do You Calculate the Volume of a Solid of Revolution Bounded by x^2 and y^2?

1. What is the definition of a solid of revolution volume?

A solid of revolution volume is a three-dimensional shape that is formed by rotating a two-dimensional curve around an axis. The resulting shape has a circular cross-section and can be thought of as the solid created by the rotation of a curve around a central axis.

2. How do you calculate the volume of a solid of revolution?

The volume of a solid of revolution can be calculated using the formula V = π∫(f(x))^2 dx, where f(x) is the function that defines the curve being rotated and the integral is taken over the appropriate interval.

3. What types of curves can be used to create solids of revolution?

Any curve that is continuous and bounded can be used to create a solid of revolution. This includes circles, ellipses, parabolas, and more complex curves such as cardioids or spirals.

4. How does the choice of the axis of rotation affect the resulting solid of revolution?

The axis of rotation determines the shape of the cross-section of the solid of revolution. If the axis is perpendicular to the curve being rotated, the resulting shape will have a circular cross-section. If the axis is tilted, the cross-section will be an ellipse or other shape depending on the angle of rotation.

5. Can the volume of a solid of revolution be negative?

No, the volume of a solid of revolution cannot be negative. It represents the amount of space enclosed by the shape, and by definition, space cannot have a negative value.