Solution of equation of free fall of a particle in a gravitational force field

The range of existence for these solutions will depend on the initial conditions and the accuracy of the numerical method used.In summary, the conversation discusses the search for an analytical solution to the equation of a falling particle in a gravitational field with varying distance. The speaker has tried to use techniques of second order non-linear differential equations but was unable to find a solution. Instead, numerical methods can be used to obtain approximate solutions with a range of existence depending on initial conditions and the accuracy of the method used.
kevinaltieri
Hi everybody, I am trying to find an analytical solution of the equation of a falling particle of mass M in a gravitational field (described by constant K) when the gravity depends on distance, as in Newton classical theory(I simplified in one dimension). The equation could be M*d2 X(t)/ dt2 = -K * 1/x(t)**2. Initial condition X(t0)= X0 and initial speed V0. I tried to find a solution and a range of existence of this solution with tecniques of second order non linear differential equation with separation of variables, but I lost myself on the road. Could somebody help me. Thank you very much.

Physics news on Phys.org
Unfortunately, there is no known analytical solution to this equation. However, you can use numerical methods such as Euler's method or Runge-Kutta techniques to obtain approximate solutions.

Hello,

Thank you for sharing your work on finding an analytical solution for the equation of free fall in a gravitational force field. This is a complex problem and it is understandable that you may have faced challenges in finding a solution.

One approach to solving this equation is to use the principle of conservation of energy. This states that the total energy of a system remains constant, and in the case of a falling particle, this energy is a combination of its kinetic energy and potential energy due to gravity.

Using this principle, you can derive an equation for the velocity of the particle as a function of time, and then integrate it to find the position of the particle as a function of time. This will give you an analytical solution for the equation of free fall.

Additionally, you can also use numerical methods such as Euler's method or Runge-Kutta method to approximate the solution and find the range of existence of the solution.

I hope this helps guide you in finding a solution for your problem. Keep exploring and don't give up, as finding analytical solutions to complex equations can be a challenging but rewarding experience. Best of luck!

Related to Solution of equation of free fall of a particle in a gravitational force field

1. How does the equation of free fall describe the motion of a particle in a gravitational force field?

The equation of free fall, also known as the equation of motion, describes the motion of a particle in a gravitational force field as it falls towards the ground. It takes into account the acceleration due to gravity, the initial velocity of the object, and the time it takes for the object to fall.

2. What is the general form of the equation of free fall?

The general form of the equation of free fall is d = 0.5 * g * t^2 + v0 * t + d0, where d is the distance traveled by the object, g is the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s^2 on Earth), t is the time, v0 is the initial velocity of the object, and d0 is the initial position of the object.

3. How is the equation of free fall derived?

The equation of free fall is derived from Newton's Second Law of Motion, which states that the net force acting on an object is equal to the mass of the object multiplied by its acceleration. In this case, the net force is the force of gravity (mg) and the acceleration is the acceleration due to gravity (g). This can be expressed as F = ma = mg, which can be rearranged to solve for acceleration (a = g). This value is then substituted into the kinematic equation d = v0 * t + 0.5 * a * t^2, resulting in the equation of free fall.

4. What are the key assumptions made in the equation of free fall?

The equation of free fall assumes that the gravitational force acting on the object is constant, the object is moving in a straight line, and there is no air resistance or friction affecting the object's motion. It also assumes that the object is falling close to the surface of the Earth, where the acceleration due to gravity is constant.

5. Can the equation of free fall be used to describe the motion of objects on other planets?

Yes, the equation of free fall can be used to describe the motion of objects on other planets as long as the acceleration due to gravity is known. However, the value of g will be different on each planet, so the equation will need to be modified accordingly.