Solve 1st Order PDE: $u_y+f(u)u_x=0$

In summary: You could do a google search for "method of characteristics" or "Johns book on partial differential equations".
Markov2
Solve $u_y+f(u)u_x=0,$ $x\in\mathbb R,$ $y>0,$ $u(x,0)=\phi(x).$

What's the easy way to solve this? Fourier Transform? Laplace Transform?

Physics news on Phys.org
I would say separation of variables.

Danny said:

Wouldn't you have to say something about $f$ in order for that to work?

Ackbach said:
Wouldn't you have to say something about $f$ in order for that to work?
You mean like some level of smoothness. For sure. In most cases I would use a separation of variables. For special cases of $f(u)$ - something else.

Thanks for pointing that out!

Okay, that consists on putting $u(x,y)=h(x)g(y)$ right?

Danny said:
What I meant to say was the method of characteristics (What was I thinking?) That's what happens when I think mathematics w/o my first cup of tea in the morning. (Doh)

Last edited:
Oh, could you show me or where can I learn the method?

Given a PDE of the form

$a(x,y,u)u_x + b(x,y,u)u_y = c(x,y,u)$

the method of characteristics requires you to solve the ODEs

$\dfrac{dx}{a(x,y,u)} = \dfrac{dy}{b(x,y,u)} = \dfrac{du}{c(x,y,u)}$

in which you pick in pairs and try and integrate (sometimes it can be tricky as you might have to be clever in how you pick or manipulate the equations)

What book(s) do you have? You could do a google search for examples or I could give you a list of books that have examples.

Well I have the Farlow, the "partial differential equations" and etc, is it good? Could you give examples as you said? Thanks.

Danny said:
You mean like some level of smoothness. For sure. In most cases I would use a separation of variables. For special cases of $f(u)$ - something else.

Thanks for pointing that out!

Danny said:
What I meant to say was the method of characteristics (What was I thinking?) That's what happens when I think mathematics w/o my first cup of tea in the morning. (Doh)

Yeah, I was more getting at the "separability" of $f$. Characteristics doesn't seem to have that drawback in this case.

Using the method of characteristics you shoudl arrive at something like \(u(x,t)=\phi(y_0(x,t))\) where \(y_0(x,t)\) is the intersection of the \(x\)-axis with the characteristic passing through \((x,t)\).

For this method I would recommend John's book "Partial differential equations" where he treats in some detail the case \(f(u)=u\). Also, as an aside, putting \( f=g'\) for some \(g\), we can put the equation in the form \(u_t+g(u)_x=0\), and this is known as a scalar conservation law in one dimension; there are books dedicated to these kinds of equations.

Jester said:
What book(s) do you have? You could do a google search for examples or I could give you a list of books that have examples.
Sorry for the delay of the reply, but those books are online? Can you give the links if so?

Thanks!

Related to Solve 1st Order PDE: $u_y+f(u)u_x=0$

1. What is a 1st order PDE?

A 1st order PDE (partial differential equation) is a mathematical equation that involves partial derivatives of a function of more than one independent variable. In this case, the independent variables are u and x, and the partial derivatives are with respect to u and x.

2. What does the term "solve" mean in this context?

Solving a PDE means finding a function that satisfies the given equation. In other words, the function u(x,y) must make the equation true for all values of x and y. This can be done by finding a general solution or a particular solution.

3. What does the term "order" refer to in a PDE?

The order of a PDE refers to the highest order of the partial derivatives in the equation. In a 1st order PDE, the highest order of the partial derivatives is 1.

4. What is the role of the function f(u) in this PDE?

The function f(u) is known as the coefficient function and it determines the behavior of the solution u(x,y). In this particular PDE, the coefficient function is multiplied by the partial derivative with respect to x, meaning it affects the slope of the solution in the x-direction.

5. What are some real-world applications of solving 1st order PDEs?

1st order PDEs are used in various fields of science and engineering, such as fluid mechanics, electromagnetism, and finance. For example, in fluid mechanics, 1st order PDEs can be used to model the flow of fluids in pipes or channels. In electromagnetism, 1st order PDEs can be used to study the propagation of electromagnetic waves. In finance, 1st order PDEs can be used to model the prices of financial assets.