Solve coefficients for four equations in square well

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem with four equations and five unknown coefficients (A, B, D, I, J). The goal is to solve for four of the coefficients in terms of the fifth one. The suggested approach is to solve the last two equations for I and J in terms of D, and then plug those results into the first two equations to solve for A and B. The conversation also touches on using Latex equations in a post and suggests treating the equations as linear systems when solving algebraically.
dsdelavega

Homework Statement

Hello, I am stuck on four equations for which I must find the coefficients A,B,I,J.
I have tried using latex but the commands don't seem to work.

Homework Equations

Four equations:

[tex] A+B = I+J [/tex]
[tex] \frac{\alpha}{k}(J-I) = A - B [/tex]
[tex] D = Ie^{ia(\alpha-k)} + Je^{-ia(\alpha + k)} [/tex]
[tex] D = -\frac{\alpha}{k}Ie^{ia(\alpha-k)} - \frac{\alpha}{k}Je^{-ia(\alpha + k)} [/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I = [2B + J((alpha/k)-1)]/ (1+ (alpha/k))

i got this from setting 1 and 2 equal to A then solving for I but i don't know where to go from here. Any tips?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
You have five unknowns, A, B, D, I, and J, but only four equations. You can solve for four of the coefficients in terms of the other one.

I'd solve the last two equations for I and J in terms of D. Then once you have those, plug the results into the first two equations and solve for A and B.

vela said:
You have five unknowns, A, B, D, I, and J, but only four equations. You can solve for four of the coefficients in terms of the other one.

I'd solve the last two equations for I and J in terms of D. Then once you have those, plug the results into the first two equations and solve for A and B.

Yes, we were told that we should solve in terms of our incident wave direction which is the value B in this case.
So if i solve for I and J in terms of D does that mean just set 3 = 4 and solve for I and J?

These are linear systems of equations, like x+y=2 and x-y=1. You solve them the same way.

vela said:
These are linear systems of equations, like x+y=2 and x-y=1. You solve them the same way.

I understand, I am just getting lost in the algebra trying to match terms.
Also, any chance you can tell me how to implement the latex equations? I know how to use latex but i don't know how to do it on a post. thanks!

when setting 3 = 4 then I solve for I, then the result I get is the following:

[tex] I = J e^{-2ia\alpha} \frac {k-\alpha} {k+\alpha}[/tex]

I don't know what to do after this.
The four equations are throwing me off because of the many variables.
Additionally,I can't plug this into equation 1 because I wouldn't know what A is.

Related to Solve coefficients for four equations in square well

1. What is a square well?

A square well is a potential energy function used in physics to represent a potential energy barrier or potential energy minimum. It is often used to model the behavior of particles in a confined space, such as an atom or a particle in a box.

2. What are coefficients in a square well equation?

Coefficients in a square well equation refer to the numerical values that represent the strength and depth of the potential energy function. These coefficients are used to calculate the energy levels of particles in a square well potential.

3. Why is it necessary to solve for coefficients in a square well?

Solving for coefficients in a square well is necessary in order to accurately describe the behavior of particles in a confined space. It allows us to calculate the energy levels and wave functions of particles in a square well potential, which is important in understanding the properties of atoms and other systems.

4. How do you solve for coefficients in a square well?

The coefficients in a square well can be solved using mathematical methods, such as the Schrödinger equation, which describes the behavior of particles in a potential. This equation can be solved using various techniques, such as numerical methods or approximation methods.

5. What are the applications of solving for coefficients in a square well?

The applications of solving for coefficients in a square well are numerous, as it is a fundamental concept in understanding the behavior of particles in confined spaces. This understanding is important in fields such as quantum mechanics, atomic physics, and materials science. It also has practical applications in technologies such as transistors and superconductors.