Solve the vertical stretch/compression graph problem

In summary, the conversation discusses the graph of a function ##y=f(x)=(x-2)^2## and how it can be stretched by a scale factor of ##a=3## to obtain the graph of ##y=af(x)##. It is also mentioned that the value of ##f(1)## is equal to 1, therefore the value of ##af(1)## is equal to 3. The correct graph is identified as the second one, and it is suggested to write ##3 \cdot 1## instead of ##3.1##.
chwala
Gold Member
Homework Statement
see attached
Relevant Equations
Vertical stretch/compression knowledge
This is the problem,
1639134022851.png

Let ##y=f(x)= (x-2)^2##. The graph of ##y=af(x)##can be obtained from the graph of ##y=f(x)## by a stretch parallel to the y- axis with scale factor ##a##. In our case here, ##a=3##, therefore the corresponding graph is as indicated in blue. Find my graph below using desmos.

1639134323863.png

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You can check what the value of ##f(1)## is.

Likes chwala
##f(1) =1##, therefore ##af(1)=3f(1)= 3⋅1 =3##
From## f(x)## to ##af(x)##, the scale factor is ##k=3##

Last edited:
chwala said:
##f(1) =1##, therefore ##af(1)=3f(1)= 3.1 =3##
So indeed, the correct graph is the second one.

chwala said:
That's correct, but I don't see how this is related to the question of finding the correct graph.

True, not related mate...cheers
DrClaude said:
So indeed, the correct graph is the second one.That's correct, but I don't see how this is related to the question of finding the correct graph.

chwala said:
##f(1) =1##, therefore ##af(1)=3f(1)= 3.1 =3##
You may want to write ##3 \!\cdot \!\!1## as
##3 \cdot 1 ##
rather than as
##3.1## .

SammyS said:
You may want to write ##3 \!\cdot \!\!1## as
##3 \cdot 1 ##
rather than as
##3.1## .
Yes Sammy...actually I didn't forget, it is only that my android phone wasn't opening the tabs related to signs...i will for sure have that fixed.

Likes SammyS

1. What is a vertical stretch/compression graph problem?

A vertical stretch/compression graph problem is a mathematical problem that involves changing the vertical scale of a graph. This can be done by multiplying or dividing all of the y-values by a constant, which results in a stretched or compressed graph.

2. How do I solve a vertical stretch/compression graph problem?

To solve a vertical stretch/compression graph problem, you first need to identify the original graph and the desired scale change. Then, you can use the formula y = kx to calculate the new y-values, where k is the scale factor. Finally, plot the new points on the graph to see the stretched or compressed version.

3. What is the difference between a vertical stretch and a compression?

A vertical stretch is when the y-values of a graph are multiplied by a constant, resulting in a taller and thinner graph. A compression is when the y-values are divided by a constant, resulting in a shorter and wider graph. Both changes affect the vertical scale of the graph, but in opposite ways.

4. Can a vertical stretch/compression affect the shape of a graph?

Yes, a vertical stretch/compression can affect the shape of a graph. If the scale factor is greater than 1, the graph will be stretched and the shape will appear thinner. If the scale factor is between 0 and 1, the graph will be compressed and the shape will appear wider. In both cases, the shape of the graph will be distorted.

5. Are there any real-life applications of vertical stretch/compression graph problems?

Yes, there are many real-life applications of vertical stretch/compression graph problems. For example, in economics, a company may use a vertical stretch/compression to represent changes in their production costs. In physics, a vertical stretch/compression can be used to model the behavior of a spring. It is also commonly used in computer graphics to resize images.