Solve Using Method of Node Voltages

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a voltage source and a resistor, where the value of V1 and V2 should be -3.214 V and -12.214 V, respectively. The person asking the question initially added a term (V1-V2)/1 to their solution, but was advised to remove it because the current through the resistor is not affected by V1 and V2. They were also reminded to consider all current paths in and out of the super node. The conversation then delves into a discussion about voltage measurements and how they can be described from different perspectives.
mkematt96

Homework Statement

FullSizeRender.jpg
[/B]

Homework Equations

This problem was from a practice exam. I know what V1 and V2 should be but can't get my answer to match. V1 should be -3.214 V and V2 should be -12.214 V

The Attempt at a Solution

See attached picture for my work. [/B]

Physics news on Phys.org
upload_2017-10-13_16-34-31.png

What is this thing?

willem2 said:
View attachment 212944
What is this thing?
That is a voltage source.

I see your problem. It involves the 1 ohm resistor...
Hint: There is a voltage source in parallel with the resistor.

There are two ways you can look at your error. Either you should not have added the (V1-v2)/1 term, because the current though the 1 ohm resistor in no way effects V1 and V2. The other way you can look at it, is you need to write the equations for every current path in and out of the super node, in which case you missed (v2-v1)/1/

Likes CWatters
donpacino said:
I see your problem. It involves the 1 ohm resistor...
Hint: There is a voltage source in parallel with the resistor.

There are two ways you can look at your error. Either you should not have added the (V1-v2)/1 term, because the current though the 1 ohm resistor in no way effects V1 and V2. The other way you can look at it, is you need to write the equations for every current path in and out of the super node, in which case you missed (v2-v1)/1/
So I re did the problem taking the (v2-v1)/1 ohm out of the problem and got the right answer. My question is, why don't we need to account for this?

mkematt96 said:
So I re did the problem taking the (v2-v1)/1 ohm out of the problem and got the right answer. My question is, why don't we need to account for this?

There is a voltage source in parallel with the resistor. there will always be 9 amps going through the resistor, regardless of the other circuit conditions. It has no dependence on the value of V1 or V2

There are two current paths going to the resistor from your supernode. one going from V1 through the resistor counterclockwise, and one going from v2 through the resistor counterclockwise. You missed the counterclockwise one. If you were to write both equations, they would cancel each other out. Once you learn this will happen, you can just leave it out from the beginning.

donpacino said:
There is a voltage source in parallel with the resistor. there will always be 9 amps going through the resistor, regardless of the other circuit conditions. It has no dependence on the value of V1 or V2

There are two current paths going to the resistor from your supernode. one going from V1 through the resistor counterclockwise, and one going from v2 through the resistor counterclockwise. You missed the counterclockwise one. If you were to write both equations, they would cancel each other out. Once you learn this will happen, you can just leave it out from the beginning.
Okay that makes sense thanks. One more quick question... Is the voltage across that 5 ohm resistor also -3.214 V or would it be positive 3.214 V ?

mkematt96 said:
Okay that makes sense thanks. One more quick question... Is the voltage across that 5 ohm resistor also -3.214 V or would it be positive 3.214 V ?

Voltage is a differential measurement, like height. If V1 is -3 V, then common usage says the voltage drop across the resistor is -3V. But one could describe the drop in the other direction (drop from the bottom end to the top) in which case the voltage would be positive.

An analogy to height... You're at the top of a mountain. Someone asks how high, you say 3000 feet down (-3000), because you are measuring from the top to the bottom. But then you ask someone else how big it is. they reply 3000 up. It is all about perspective.

1. What is the "Method of Node Voltages"?

The Method of Node Voltages is a technique used to solve for unknown voltages in a circuit by analyzing the voltage drops across each individual node in the circuit.

2. When should the "Method of Node Voltages" be used?

This method is typically used when solving for unknown voltages in a circuit that contains multiple voltage sources and resistors.

3. What are the steps to solve using the "Method of Node Voltages"?

The steps to solve using this method are as follows:
1. Identify all the nodes in the circuit.
2. Choose a reference node and assign it a voltage of 0.
3. Write Kirchhoff's Current Law (KCL) equations for each node, using the reference node as a starting point.
4. Use Ohm's Law to express the voltage drop across each resistor in terms of the node voltages.
5. Solve the resulting system of equations for the unknown node voltages.

4. What are the advantages of using the "Method of Node Voltages"?

One advantage is that it can be used to solve complex circuits with multiple voltage sources and resistors. It also allows for a more systematic and organized approach to solving circuit problems.

5. Are there any limitations to the "Method of Node Voltages"?

One limitation is that it may not be suitable for circuits with dependent sources. It also requires that all the nodes in the circuit be known beforehand in order to write the KCL equations.