Solve Your Tennis Racket Problem with a Geometric Approach

In summary, the geometric approach is more easy to understand but it may not work in this particular problem.
IamVector
Homework Statement
A tennis ball falls at velocity v onto a heavy racket
and bounces back elastically. What does the racket’s velocity
u have to be to make the ball bounce back at a right angle to
its initial trajectory and not start spinning if it did not spin
before the bounce? What is the angle β between ⃗u and the
normal of the racket’s plane, if the corresponding angle for ⃗v is α?
Relevant Equations
take one of the axes (say x) to be
perpendicular to the racket’s plane and the other one

(y) parallel to it. Absence of rotation means that the y-
components of the ball’s and racket’s velocities are equal
Is there any geometric approach??

Physics news on Phys.org
IamVector said:
Is there any geometric approach??
Symmetry may be a fruitful approach. The arrival and departure trajectories should be similar.

jbriggs444 said:
Symmetry may be a fruitful approach. The arrival and departure trajectories should be similar.
got u = v/2 cos α by algebraic approach and the angle. didn't got the geometric approach I think it will be easy by geometric approach.

Last edited:
IamVector said:
got u = v/2 cos α by algebraic approach and the angle? didn't got the geometric approach I think it will be easy by geometric approach.
Never mind. I misunderstood the problem. It's not an elastic collision per se. It's an elastic collision in the racket frame. Which means that in the ground frame, there is no symmetry to exploit.

jbriggs444 said:
Never mind. I misunderstood the problem. It's not an elastic collision per se. It's an elastic collision in the racket frame. Which means that in the ground frame, there is no symmetry to exploit.
I saw the hint by geometric approach it says :
Geometric approach: draw a right trapezoid as follows:

we decompose ⃗v into parallel and perpendicular compon-
ents, ⃗v = ⃗vx + ⃗vy; let us mark points A, B and C so that

AB⃗ = ⃗vx and BC⃗ = ⃗vy (then, AC⃗ = ⃗v). Next we mark
points D, E and F so that CD⃗ = ⃗v ′

y = ⃗vy, DE⃗ = −⃗vx,

and EF⃗ = 2⃗ux; then, CF⃗ = ⃗v ′

y − ⃗vx + 2⃗ux ≡ ⃗v ′ and
AF⃗ = 2⃗vy + 2⃗ux ≡ 2⃗u. Due to the problem conditions,
∠ACF = 90◦

. Let us also mark point G as the centre of
AF; then, GC is both the median of the right trapezoid
ABDF (and hence, parallel to AB and the x-axis), and

the median of the triangle ACF. What is left to do, is ex-
pressing the hypotenuse of △ACF in terms of v = |AC|I found this very tricky to understand but it is considered to be more easy than algebraic one so please help.

jbriggs444 said:
so what we can use??

1. What is the "geometric approach" in solving a tennis racket problem?

The geometric approach is a problem-solving method that uses mathematical principles and geometric concepts to analyze and solve a problem related to tennis rackets. It involves using measurements, angles, and other geometric properties to determine the cause of the problem and find a solution.

2. How does the geometric approach differ from other methods of solving a tennis racket problem?

The geometric approach is unique in that it focuses on the physical characteristics of the tennis racket, such as its shape, size, and weight, to identify and address the problem. Other methods may rely on trial and error or a more general analysis of the racket's performance.

3. Can the geometric approach be used for any type of tennis racket problem?

Yes, the geometric approach can be applied to various types of tennis racket problems, including issues with control, power, or comfort. By understanding the geometric properties of the racket, one can determine the root cause of the problem and find a suitable solution.

4. Do I need any special tools or equipment to use the geometric approach for solving a tennis racket problem?

No, the geometric approach can be applied using basic tools such as a ruler, protractor, and calculator. However, having a basic understanding of geometry and mathematical concepts can make the process easier.

5. Can the geometric approach be used for other sports equipment problems?

Yes, the geometric approach can be applied to other sports equipment problems, such as golf clubs or baseball bats. By understanding the physical properties of the equipment, one can identify and solve any issues that may be affecting its performance.