Solved: Calculate Magnetic Energy of Nonmagnetic Wire

In summary, the magnetic energy per unit length of a nonmagnetic wire is given by W = \frac{\mu_0 I^2 }{ 16 \pi} (inside the wire). This is derived from the equation W = \int \int \int \frac{|B|^2} {2 \mu}, where B is the B field outside the wire and a and b are the inner and outer radius of the wire. This means that the magnetic field inside a wire is zero, so the energy is also zero. The energy comes from the B field outside of the wire.
jesuslovesu
[SOLVED] Magnetic Energy

Whoops, never mind, i didn't use the right B field

Homework Statement

Show that the magnetic energy per unit length of a nonmagnetic wire is [tex]\frac{\mu_0 I^2 }{ 16 \pi}[/tex] (inside the wire)

Homework Equations

[tex]W = 1/2 L I^2[/tex]
[tex]W = \int \int \int \frac{|B|^2} {2 \mu} [/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Well, At first I was going to use W = 1/2 Li^2, but then I realized that I don't know how to find the self inductance of a wire. (inside it at least)

I know the B field of a wire, but when I try to integrate it, I get something completely different.

[tex]W = \int_0^L \int_0^{2\pi} \int_0^a \frac{(\mu_0 I)^2} {(2 * 2\pi r)^2} rdr d \phi dz[/tex] (i'll worry about the per unit length part later)
But as you can see that gives me a ln(a/0) which can't happen, so I'm stumped

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
. Any help would be appreciated. SOLVED:Actually, the magnetic field inside a wire is zero, so the energy is also zero. The energy comes from the B field outside of the wire. The correct equation is W = \int_0^L \int_0^{2\pi} \int_a^b \frac{B^2}{2\mu} rdr d\phi dz Where B is the B field outside the wire and a and b are the inner and outer radius of the wire. So the answer is W = \frac{\mu_0 I^2 }{ 16 \pi}

Great job on trying to solve this problem! It's always important to double check your equations and make sure you're using the right values and units. In this case, the magnetic energy per unit length of a nonmagnetic wire is actually given by the equation W = \frac{\mu_0 I^2 }{ 16 \pi} (inside the wire). This is because the self inductance of a wire is negligible and can be ignored in this calculation.

To find the magnetic energy per unit length, you can use the equation W = \int \int \int \frac{|B|^2} {2 \mu} and integrate over the volume of the wire. This will give you the same result as the equation given in the problem.

Keep up the good work!

1. How do you calculate magnetic energy for a nonmagnetic wire?

To calculate the magnetic energy of a nonmagnetic wire, you will need to use the formula for magnetic energy: E = 1/2 * L * I^2, where E is the magnetic energy, L is the inductance of the wire, and I is the current flowing through the wire. The inductance can be calculated using the wire's length, cross-sectional area, and material properties.

2. What is the difference between magnetic energy and magnetic field?

Magnetic energy refers to the energy stored in a magnetic field, while magnetic field is the region in which a magnetic force can be detected. In other words, magnetic energy is a measure of the strength of the magnetic field.

3. Can magnetic energy be measured?

Yes, magnetic energy can be measured using specialized equipment such as a gaussmeter or a magnetometer. These devices can measure the strength of a magnetic field, which can then be used to calculate the magnetic energy.

4. How does the magnetic energy of a nonmagnetic wire affect its performance?

The magnetic energy of a nonmagnetic wire is an important factor in determining its performance. A higher magnetic energy means that the wire can store more energy in its magnetic field, which can be beneficial for applications such as inductors and transformers. However, too much magnetic energy can also lead to unwanted effects such as heating and interference with other electronic components.

5. What are some real-world applications of calculating magnetic energy for nonmagnetic wires?

Calculating magnetic energy for nonmagnetic wires is useful in many real-world applications, such as designing electronic circuits, motors, generators, and transformers. It can also be used in scientific research and in industries such as energy production and transportation.