Solved: Counting Problems Homework - Distinct Digit Numbers, Even/Odd

• Thread starter LostSeeker
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Counting
In summary, the first problem asks how many four-digit numbers with distinct digits can be constructed using the digits 0, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, and the answer is 420. Out of these numbers, 4 are even. The second problem asks how many four-digit integers between 1000 and 9999 have distinct digits, and the answer is 2240. Out of these numbers, 5 are odd. The product rule is used to solve these problems.
LostSeeker

Homework Statement

----1. From the digits 0, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, how many four-digit numbers with distinct digits can be constructed? How many of these are even numbers?

----2. How many integers between 1000 and 9999 inclusive have distinct digits? Of these how many are odd numbers?

Homework Equations

Use the product rule, etc.

The Attempt at a Solution

----1. The first question is straight forward.

There are four-digit numbers: _ _ _ _
From left-to-right on possibilities: 6 (can't be zero; hence, 6 versus 7) * 6 * 5 * 4
Answer: 720 possibilities.

The second type of question is where the troubles begin.

Does anyone know of a simple online tutorial that would help? I'm sure this is all obvious but it is not to me.

The following is an attempt. . .

From right-to-left on possibilities: 3 (even numbers), 6 (even or odd), 5 (even or odd), 3 (even or odd but no zero)
Wrong answer: 270 possibilities.

Where am I going wrong?

----2. Again, the first part is easy for the second problem. The answer is 9*9*8*7 = 4,536.

The second part confuses me.
From right-to-left on possibilities: 5 (odd numbers), 9, 8, 6
Wrong answer: 5*9*8*6 = 2,160.

According to the textbook, from right-to-left the answer really is: 5, 8, 8, 7.
Why is this correct? Why those particular numbers?

Physics news on Phys.org
From right-to-left on possibilities: 3 (even numbers), 6 (even or odd), 5 (even or odd), 3 (even or odd but no zero)
Wrong answer: 270 possibilities.

Where am I going wrong?
0 is an even number, so you have to choose from 4 digits to start with. Then the rest changes depending on whether or not you chose 0. It will affect the thousands digit.

The second part confuses me.
From right-to-left on possibilities: 5 (odd numbers), 9, 8, 6
Wrong answer: 5*9*8*6 = 2,160.

According to the textbook, from right-to-left the answer really is: 5, 8, 8, 7.
Why is this correct? Why those particular numbers?

Are you sure it is right-to-left? I always place my digits depending where stipulations are. So I would place Ones, Thousands, (the order doesn't matter for the others). If your choice affects another position, I try to do that position first, unless there are shared dependencies.

Thank you.

OK, I never thought of zero as an even number. When it comes to evens and odds, I've always considered them natural numbers. The ordering is as you say, as well.

----1. From the digits 0, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, how many four-digit numbers with distinct digits can be constructed? How many of these are even numbers?

Let me try this once more. . .

But this time I won't work right-to-left.

Ones position: 4 (even numbers)
Thousands position: 5 (non-zero, minus above selection)
Hundreds position: 5 (minus the two above selections)
Tens position: 4 (minus the three above selections)

That's not right, either. 420 is supposedly the answer.

----2. How many integers between 1000 and 9999 inclusive have distinct digits? Of these how many are odd numbers?

Ones position: 5 (odd numbers)
Thousands position: 8 (non-zero, minus above selection)
Hundreds position: 8 (minus the two above selections)
Tens position: 7 (minus the three above selections)

Answer: 2,240. This appears correct. If that is the case, why not the other problem?

Ones position: 4 (even numbers)
Thousands position: 5 (non-zero, minus above selection)
Hundreds position: 5 (minus the two above selections)
Tens position: 4 (minus the three above selections)

I think you missed what I was saying by a little. It will affect the thousands digit if the ones digit was non-zero; it won't affect the thousands digit if it was zero. You need to do both cases and add them together.

I see. It would be nice if my textbook actually explained the solutions to these problems. Instead it leaves the student in the dark.

Once again, I thank you.

Ones position: 1 (zero as even number)
Thousands position: 6 (anything but zero)
Hundreds position: 5 (minus above two numbers)
Tens position: 4 (minus above three numbers)

Ones position: 3 (non-zero even number)
Thousands position: 5 (non-zero number and minus above number)
Hundreds position: 5 (minus above two numbers)
Tens position: 4 (minus above three numbers)

Answer: 6*5*4*1 + 5*5*4*3 = 420.

1. What are distinct digit numbers?

Distinct digit numbers are numbers in which each digit appears only once. For example, 12345 and 6789 are distinct digit numbers, while 11223 and 4444 are not.

2. How do I determine if a number is even or odd?

A number is even if it is divisible by 2 without any remainder. If there is a remainder when dividing by 2, the number is odd.

3. What is the difference between permutations and combinations?

Permutations are arrangements of a set of objects where the order matters. Combinations are selections of objects where the order does not matter. For example, the permutations of ABC are ABC, ACB, BAC, BCA, CAB, and CBA. The combinations of ABC are ABC, ACB, BCA, and CBA.

4. How do I solve counting problems involving distinct digit numbers?

To solve counting problems involving distinct digit numbers, you can use the formula nPr = n! / (n-r)! where n is the total number of digits and r is the number of digits to be used in the number. This formula will give you the number of distinct digit numbers that can be formed.

5. Can distinct digit numbers have leading zeros?

No, distinct digit numbers cannot have leading zeros. This is because a leading zero would make the number no longer distinct. For example, 0123 and 123 are not considered distinct digit numbers because they both have the digits 1, 2, and 3.