Solving 2D Momentum Collision: What is the Final Velocity After Collision?

In summary, two cars with masses of 1400 kg and 1300 kg collide and become entangled, with initial velocities of 45 km/h and 39 km/h [E] respectively. Using the equations for momentum, the initial momentums are calculated to be 63000 kg⋅km/h and 50700 kg⋅km/h [E]. After the collision, the combined mass of the two cars is 2700 kg. Using Pythagoras' theorem, the magnitude of the resultant vector for momentum is found to be 80867.11 kg⋅km/h. Dividing this by the combined mass gives a velocity of 29.9 km/h for the entangled cars after the
aimen khattakk

Homework Statement

One car of mass 1400 kg is traveling at 45km/h when it collides and becomes entangles with another car mass of mass 1300 kg traveling at 39km/h[E]. What is their velocity after collision

So MA = 1400 kg
VA = 45kh/h

MB = 1300 kg
VB = 39 kh/h [E]

and After Collision:
MAB = 2700kg2. Homework Equations

P = mv
∑P = ∑P'

PA + PB = PAB'

3. The Attempt at a Solution

so I've always been told to solve momentum first so since car A is going South that means it only has a verticle momentum? so
that means PAY = m⋅v
so PAY = 63000kg⋅km/h

similarly for B

so only a horizontal momentum
so PAX = 50700kg⋅km/h [E]

so now I am stuck on what to do, i tried to find the momentum of Pab in the x and y direction then find pab and solve for v but that doesn't work when i tried it. Pab in the x direction just turns out to be the same as pb in the x direction and pab in y direction turns out to be pa in y direction and then using pythaguras theorum to find the hyp and hence find Pab i get 37396 kg⋅km/h and then solving for V by diving the Pab by the total mass of both of the cars together gives me a velocity of 13.85km/h but the answer is 30.0km/h so i think i messed up after solving my momentums for before the collision but idk what i did wrong

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Check your Pythagoras calculation again. Show your working.

aimen khattakk said:
then using pythaguras theorum to find the hyp and hence find Pab i get 37396 kg⋅km/h
This number is not correct.

Edit: NascentOxygen beat me to it.

okay so
PABY' = 63000kg⋅km/h and PABX = 50700 kg⋅km/h [E]

so

c2 = a2 + b2
so
c2 = 630002 + 507002
c2 = √630002 + 507002
so c = 37396.6576 kg⋅km/h so this is PAB '

now i need to find the velocity after collison so i took the combined mass and divided it with 37396.6576kg⋅km/h
and my v ends up being 13.85 km/h but the answer is 30 km SE

i do not understand hot i
DrClaude said:
This number is not correct.

Edit: NascentOxygen beat me to it.
it is? i don't understand how because i did
507002 + 630002
and since 63000 is actually in the negative direction i basically did

507002 - 630002
and then square rooted it. do i not assign that negative direction? but its going south?

The negative sign isn't applicable here. You use Pythagoras to calculate magnitude.

aimen khattakk said:
i don't understand how because i did
507002 + 630002
and since 63000 is actually in the negative direction i basically did

507002 - 630002
and then square rooted it. do i not assign that negative direction? but its going south?
What if A was going North instead? Do you expect a different result? Making a diagram of the situation would help.

my calculator is fine, I've used it for all my courses and I am in 2 other math courses so its not broken, but i took ur advice and tried it with another one and still getting the same answer

DrClaude said:
What if A was going North instead? Do you expect a different result? Making a diagram of the situation would help.
oh wait, so since I am looking for the overall momentum of Pab after the collision, i don't need to consider negative and positives? since I am not going in a specific direction, rather I am going in 2 directions not one?

aimen khattakk said:
my calculator is fine, I've used it for all my courses and I am in 2 other math courses so its not broken, but i took ur advice and tried it with another one and still getting the same answer
NascentOxygen said that because
aimen khattakk said:
c2 = 630002 + 507002
c2 = √630002 + 507002
so c = 37396.6576
is not correct. But this is not what you calculated, as you stated in a subsequent post.

DrClaude said:
and I am basically looking for the sum of 2 vectors so it would be that the cars are going S of E not just S or just E so doing what i did earlier would have made the direction be just south right?

aimen khattakk said:
oh wait, so since I am looking for the overall momentum of Pab after the collision, i don't need to consider negative and positives? since I am not going in a specific direction, rather I am going in 2 directions not one?

aimen khattakk said:
and I am basically looking for the sum of 2 vectors so it would be that the cars are going S of E not just S or just E so doing what i did earlier would have made the direction be just south right?
You already have the sum of the two vectors. What you are looking for is the magnitude of the resultant vector.

DrClaude said:
NascentOxygen said that because

is not correct. But this is not what you calculated, as you stated in a subsequent post.
that is the Pab not the velc
DrClaude said:
You already have the sum of the two vectors. What you are looking for is the magnitude of the resultant vector.

OH so since I am looking for the magnitude i don't need to consider their directions so it would just be

c2 = 630002+ 507002
c2 = √630002 + 507002
so c = 80867.11 kg⋅km/h ??

so then velocity would be 80867.11 kg⋅km/h / 2700kg
so v = 29.9 km/h! thank you! that makes so much more sense!

You are adding two perpendicular quantities. The hypotenuse will be longer than either of the perpendicular components.

What is 2D momentum collision?

2D momentum collision is a type of collision that occurs between two objects in a two-dimensional space. It involves the transfer of momentum between the two objects, resulting in a change in their velocities.

How is the momentum of an object calculated in 2D collision?

The momentum of an object in 2D collision can be calculated using the formula p = m * v, where p is the momentum, m is the mass of the object, and v is its velocity. This formula takes into account the direction of the object's motion.

What is the law of conservation of momentum in 2D collision?

The law of conservation of momentum states that in a closed system, the total momentum before a collision is equal to the total momentum after the collision. This means that the sum of the momenta of the two objects involved in a 2D collision will remain constant.

What factors affect the outcome of a 2D collision?

The outcome of a 2D collision can be affected by several factors, including the masses and velocities of the objects, the angle at which they collide, and the elasticity of the objects. Inelastic collisions, where the objects stick together after colliding, will have a different outcome than elastic collisions, where the objects bounce off each other.

What are some real-world applications of 2D momentum collision?

2D momentum collision has many real-world applications, such as in sports like billiards and pool, where the balls collide with each other and the walls of the table. It is also used in physics experiments and in the design of airbags in cars to minimize the impact of a collision on passengers.