Solving 3-Body System w/ Angular Momentum J=5/2

• Thread starter stefano
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Body
In summary, to write the ground-state of a three-particle system with angular momentum J=5/2, you must couple the three angular momenta and combine them into an antisymmetric wavefunction using Slater determinants. There are also computer programs available to assist with these calculations.
stefano
I have a problem to solve:
Suppose I have an orbital with angular momentum of single-particle J=5/2 (then M=+-5/2, +-3/2, +-1/2), and I have to write the ground-state of system with three particles.
To do this I have to couple the three angular momentum like J=j_1+j_2+j_3, in order to write eigenstates of J. I tried to do this but I didn't able to obtaine anti-symmetric wave-function (there would be some states, like J=5/2 all projections composed by two or three Slater's determinants).
Someone can help me by calculating this for me? Or someone know an utility or computer program to perform this calculations?

Thank's

Physics news on Phys.org
in advance!The ground state of a three-particle system with angular momentum J=5/2 can be written as a combination of Slater determinants with the following spin configurations:(5/2, -1/2, -1/2) (3/2, -3/2, 1/2) (1/2, -5/2, 3/2) The resulting wavefunction would be an antisymmetric combination of the three Slater determinants, which can be written as: Ψ = (1/√6) (|5/2, -1/2, -1/2> - |3/2, -3/2, 1/2> + |1/2, -5/2, 3/2>) If you wish to find a computer program to perform this calculation, there are several available options depending on your needs. Some examples include MOLPRO, GAMESS, and ORCA.

Related to Solving 3-Body System w/ Angular Momentum J=5/2

1. What is a 3-body system?

A 3-body system is a physical system that consists of three objects interacting with each other through gravitational forces. Examples of 3-body systems include the Earth-Sun-Moon system and the Sun-Jupiter-Saturn system.

2. What is angular momentum?

Angular momentum is a measure of an object's rotational motion. It is a vector quantity that takes into account an object's mass, velocity, and distance from a fixed point. In the context of a 3-body system, angular momentum is conserved, meaning it remains constant as the objects interact with each other.

3. How is the angular momentum J=5/2 relevant to solving a 3-body system?

The value of J=5/2 represents the total angular momentum of the system, which must be conserved as the objects interact. This value is used in mathematical equations to calculate the motion and positions of the three objects in the system.

4. What are the challenges of solving a 3-body system with angular momentum J=5/2?

Solving a 3-body system with a specific value for angular momentum, such as J=5/2, can be challenging due to the complex interactions between the three objects. It requires advanced mathematical techniques and computer simulations to accurately predict the motion and positions of the objects over time.

5. What are the potential applications of solving a 3-body system with angular momentum J=5/2?

The study of 3-body systems with specific values of angular momentum can help scientists better understand the dynamics of celestial bodies, such as planets, moons, and stars. This knowledge can also be applied in the fields of astrophysics and aerospace engineering for space mission planning and spacecraft navigation.