Solving a Force Problem with Three Cables and a Bracket

In summary: However, the photo shows a bracket exerting a force of 300N, 500N, and 30° downward on three cables. The photo does not show a wall.
Popa91
Hi everyone, i came across this forum a while ago and have been lurking here for a while. Any ways, i have a simple problem but can't seem to find a solution to it the photo of the problem is the link just here

http://i1053.photobucket.com/albums/s463/Popa911/1cc85138.jpg

Homework Statement

Three cables exert a force on a bracket (as shown in the photo) F1=300N, F2=500N and the resultant is 400N and 30° downward from x.

Homework Equations

the equation i used to solve was Fr=F1+F2+F3 rearranged to get F3= Fr - F1 - F2

The Attempt at a Solution

I got the i and j components and put them together as follows.

F3= (346.41i -200j) - (180i + 240j) - (500i)
F3 = -334i - 440j

this answer is incorrect as it would mean that cable F3 is going through the wall? Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org

rude man said:
You sure you got the problem right?

where do you think i went wrong? I even checked it back against the original Fr = F1 + F2 + F3 and it comes up with the correct Fr.

Am i looking at the problem in the wrong way?

Perhaps you copied that 400 value wrong? Maybe it should be 800 or so?

NascentOxygen said:
Perhaps you copied that 400 value wrong?

i was thinking this as well, I've checked my figures though and re-checked the final answer against the resultant force and it seems correct but it doesn't fit with what the photo shows

I'd chuck this problem as far as I could throw it and find another that makes more sense.

PhanthomJay said:
I'd chuck this problem as far as I could throw it and find another that makes more sense.

I second that motion.

There doesn't appear to be anything wrong with this problem apart from a terrible drawing...

PhanthomJay said:

rude man said:
I second that motion.

DrHemp said:
There doesn't appear to be anything wrong with this problem apart from a terrible drawing...

I talked to my lecturer and she said that the problem is either it is drawn wrong or the figures that were given in the question are wrong because there is nothing wrong with how i worked it out lol. Spent ages trying to figure out where I went wrong.

Thanks for the help everyone as well!

Popa91 said:
I talked to my lecturer and she said that the problem is either it is drawn wrong or the figures that were given in the question are wrong because there is nothing wrong with how i worked it out lol. Spent ages trying to figure out where I went wrong!
Thanks for getting back, Popa91.

Popa91: Theoretically speaking, there is nothing wrong with the given problem, nor diagram. You worked the problem correctly, and your answer in post 1 is correct. We can imagine ways in which the given problem is possible.

1. What is a force problem with three cables and a bracket?

A force problem with three cables and a bracket involves determining the forces acting on a bracket that is supported by three cables. This type of problem is often encountered in engineering and physics, and requires the use of principles such as static equilibrium and vector addition to solve.

2. How do you solve a force problem with three cables and a bracket?

To solve a force problem with three cables and a bracket, you must first draw a free body diagram of the bracket and label all the known and unknown forces acting on it. Then, apply the principles of static equilibrium to set up and solve a system of equations. The equations will involve the forces acting on the bracket in the horizontal and vertical directions.

3. What are the important considerations when solving a force problem with three cables and a bracket?

When solving a force problem with three cables and a bracket, it is important to consider the direction and magnitude of each force, the angle at which the cables are attached to the bracket, and the weight of the bracket itself. It is also important to ensure that the equations used are set up in a way that will result in a solution that satisfies the principles of static equilibrium.

4. What are some real-world applications of solving a force problem with three cables and a bracket?

Solving a force problem with three cables and a bracket has many real-world applications, including determining the forces acting on a suspension bridge, analyzing the stability of a crane, and designing structures such as trusses and scaffolding. It is also important in understanding the forces involved in sports equipment, such as the tension on a tennis racket or the weight distribution on a balance beam.

5. Are there any common mistakes to avoid when solving a force problem with three cables and a bracket?

One common mistake to avoid when solving a force problem with three cables and a bracket is forgetting to include the weight of the bracket itself in the equations. It is also important to make sure that the free body diagram is drawn correctly and all forces are labeled accurately. Additionally, it is important to check the final solution to ensure that it satisfies the principles of static equilibrium.