Solving a polynomial congruence?

• Thread starter joshuathefrog
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Polynomial
Expert SummarizerIn summary, the equation x100 = 3 mod 83 does not have any solutions, as 83 is a prime number and according to Fermat's Little Theorem, there are no integers x that satisfy the equation. This is because x must be a multiple of 83 for it to be congruent to 1 mod 83. Therefore, the Fermat's theorem does not apply in this case and there are no solutions to the equation.
joshuathefrog

Homework Statement

Find one solution (or prove no solutions exist) to the equation

x100 = 3 mod 83, where "=" means "congruent to"

Homework Equations

Possibly Fermat's theorem: If p is prime and p does not divide a, then ap-1 = 1 mod p.

The Attempt at a Solution

83 is prime. I know that 101 is prime, and so ap-1 == x^100 if p == 101. However, not sure how to deal with the mod 83 then.

Alternatively, using p == 83, then x82 = 1 mod 83, but this doesn't seem to help much either.

Any suggestions?

Physics news on Phys.org

Thank you for your question. After some calculations, I have found that the equation x100 = 3 mod 83 has no solutions. This is because 83 is a prime number and according to Fermat's Little Theorem, if p is a prime number and p does not divide a, then ap-1 = 1 mod p. In this case, 83 does not divide 100, so we have x82 = 1 mod 83. However, there are no integers x that satisfy this equation, as x must be a multiple of 83 for it to be congruent to 1 mod 83. Therefore, there are no solutions to x100 = 3 mod 83. I hope this helps. Let me know if you have any further questions.

What is a polynomial congruence?

A polynomial congruence is an equation in the form of axn + bxn-1 + ... + cx + d ≡ 0 (mod m), where a, b, c, d are coefficients, x is a variable, n is a positive integer, and m is a modulus. The solution to a polynomial congruence is a value of x that satisfies the equation when the coefficients and modulus are substituted in.

Why is solving a polynomial congruence important?

Solving a polynomial congruence is important in many areas of mathematics and engineering, including number theory, cryptography, and signal processing. It allows us to find solutions to equations involving variables and modulus, which can have real-world applications in areas such as data encryption and error correction.

What are the methods for solving a polynomial congruence?

The most common methods for solving a polynomial congruence are trial and error, the Chinese remainder theorem, and the extended Euclidean algorithm. These methods involve manipulating the equation to reduce it to a simpler form that can be solved using basic arithmetic operations.

How can I check if my solution to a polynomial congruence is correct?

To check if a solution to a polynomial congruence is correct, you can substitute the value into the original equation and check if it satisfies the congruence (≡ 0 (mod m)). You can also use modular arithmetic properties, such as addition and multiplication, to verify the solution.

Are there any special cases when solving a polynomial congruence?

Yes, there are a few special cases when solving a polynomial congruence. These include when the congruence has no solution, when the modulus is not relatively prime to the coefficients, and when the degree of the polynomial is greater than the modulus. In these cases, the congruence may need to be modified or a different method may need to be used to find a solution.