Solving a Quadratic Equation: A Puzzling Problem

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the equation of a quadratic function with a vertex at (1,3) and passing through the points (2,1). The initial attempt at solving the problem was in the form of y=a(x-h)+k, but the person asking for help wondered if the answer could be converted to the form y=ax^2+bx+c. The expert suggests expanding the brackets and multiplying by -2 to get the correct equation of y=-2x^2+4x+1. They also advise practicing binomial multiplication to become more comfortable with it.
Mastiff_Lover
Hi! I have this Math 11 problem. I do my math through Distance Ed. and there are no examples like this one in the supplied lessons. If anyone could help me with this question, that would be great!

Homework Statement

Find the equation of the quadratic function with a vertex at (1,3) passing through the points (2,1). Write your answer in the form y=ax^2+bx+c.

The Attempt at a Solution

Using these two points (one being the vertex), I am able to write an equation, but in the form of y=a(x-h)+k. Below is the answer I get for that:
y=-2(x-1)+3
However, I was wondering if I can just convert this answer to the other quadratic form, or do I have to do the question an entirely different way.
Any comments/help on ways to do this question appreciated.
Thanks,
Mastiff_Lover

Physics news on Phys.org

Well you did the question in the simplest way. But on point, you can just expand it to get it in the for y=ax2+bx+c

Hi! Thanks for the reply! However, how do I expand it to get it for y=ax^2+bx+c?

Mastiff_Lover said:
Using these two points (one being the vertex), I am able to write an equation, but in the form of y=a(x-h)2+k. Below is the answer I get for that:
y=-2(x-1)2+3

Note the corrected thing in red.
Mastiff_Lover said:
Hi! Thanks for the reply! However, how do I expand it to get it for y=ax^2+bx+c?

Expanding brackets is a fundamental part in algebra so you should learn this well.

(a+b)(c+d)=a(c+d)+b(c+d) = ac+ad + bc+bd

in your case you have (x-1)2=(x-1)(x-1)

EDIT: and well you should know k(a+b) = ka+kb

Thanks!Give me a minute to think this out

Hi! Ok! I think I've got the answer. Here it is below:
y=-2(x-1)^2+3
y=(2x+1)(x-1)+3
y=-2x^2+2x+x-1+3
y=-2x^2+3x+2
Do you think this would be the answer?
Thanks,
Mastiff_Lover

Mastiff_Lover said:
Hi! Ok! I think I've got the answer. Here it is below:
y=-2(x-1)^2+3
y=(2x+1)(x-1)+3
y=-2x^2+2x+x-1+3
y=-2x^2+3x+2
Do you think this would be the answer?
Thanks,
Mastiff_Lover

Try expanding (x-1)2 and then multiply that by -2

Ok! I just thought you could do it both ways, but I guess not! So, here it is the way you said. Is this correct?
y=-2(x-1)(x-1)+3
y=-2(x^2-x-x+1)
y=-2(x^2-2x+1)
y=2x^2-4x+2+3
y=2x^2-4x+5
Thanks,
Mastiff_Lover

Mastiff_Lover said:
Ok! I just thought you could do it both ways, but I guess not! So, here it is the way you said. Is this correct?
y=-2(x-1)(x-1)+3
y=-2(x^2-x-x+1)
y=-2(x^2-2x+1)
y=2x^2-4x+2+3
y=2x^2-4x+5[/B
Thanks,
Mastiff_Lover

you multiplied by 2 and not -2 in this line

Oh! I am so sorry! It is late here and I am a bit tired. I tend to make these silly mistakes when I am tired. Anyways, hopefully this is the correct answer:
y=-2x^2+4x+1
Thanks,
Mastiff_Lover

Yes that should be correct now.

OK! Thanks again for the help!

Mastiff_Lover said:
y=-2(x-1)(x-1)+3
y=-2(x^2-x-x+1)
y=-2(x^2-2x+1)
y=2x^2-4x+2+3
y=2x^2-4x+5
Thanks,
Mastiff_Lover
Rock.freak pointed out one error you made. The error actually started at an earlier line where you forgot to bring along the 3 term. Also, it is not incorrect to rewrite the equation on each line, but you can use a chain of equal signs to indicate that you have a chain of equal expressions. If you're applying some operation to both sides of an equation, you should definitely write both sides in each step, but if all you're doing is simplifying an expression on one side of an equation, you can do it like so:

y=-2(x-1)(x-1)+3 = -2(x2 -2x + 1) + 3
= -2x2 + 4x -2 + 3 = -2x2 + 4x + 1

So y = -2x2 + 4x + 1

Since you are in 11th grade algebra (and so presumably have had a previous course in this subject), you should be very comfortable working with the squares of binomials such as (x + a)2, which equals x2 + 2ax + a2. You should be able to do simple binomials like this without having to do a lot of steps. If this is not something you are very familiar with, I would suggest you review binomial multiplication in whatever text you are using and work enough problems that it becomes easy.

Hi! Thanks for the tips. I am pretty comfortable in binomial multiplication. However, I am going to do a little bit more practise. I think because I was tired, I was making a few silly mistakes. :smile:
Mark44 said:
Rock.freak pointed out one error you made. The error actually started at an earlier line where you forgot to bring along the 3 term. Also, it is not incorrect to rewrite the equation on each line, but you can use a chain of equal signs to indicate that you have a chain of equal expressions. If you're applying some operation to both sides of an equation, you should definitely write both sides in each step, but if all you're doing is simplifying an expression on one side of an equation, you can do it like so:

y=-2(x-1)(x-1)+3 = -2(x2 -2x + 1) + 3
= -2x2 + 4x -2 + 3 = -2x2 + 4x + 1

So y = -2x2 + 4x + 1

Since you are in 11th grade algebra (and so presumably have had a previous course in this subject), you should be very comfortable working with the squares of binomials such as (x + a)2, which equals x2 + 2ax + a2. You should be able to do simple binomials like this without having to do a lot of steps. If this is not something you are very familiar with, I would suggest you review binomial multiplication in whatever text you are using and work enough problems that it becomes easy.

Mastiff_Lover said:
Hi! I have this Math 11 problem. I do my math through Distance Ed. and there are no examples like this one in the supplied lessons. If anyone could help me with this question, that would be great!

Homework Statement

Find the equation of the quadratic function with a vertex at (1,3) passing through the points (2,1). Write your answer in the form y=ax^2+bx+c.

The Attempt at a Solution

Using these two points (one being the vertex), I am able to write an equation, but in the form of y=a(x-h)+k. Below is the answer I get for that:
y=-2(x-1)+3
However, I was wondering if I can just convert this answer to the other quadratic form, or do I have to do the question an entirely different way.
Any comments/help on ways to do this question appreciated.
Thanks,
Mastiff_Lover

where do you got the -2 as the a?

paulatoot said:
where do you got the -2 as the a?
Take the vertex form,
y = a(x - h)2 + k
and plug in the vertex for h and k. Now, knowing that this parabola passes through the point (2, 1), what do you think we should do next?

Related to Solving a Quadratic Equation: A Puzzling Problem

1. What is a quadratic equation?

A quadratic equation is a mathematical expression in the form of ax^2 + bx + c = 0, where a, b, and c are constants and x is the variable. It is a second-degree polynomial equation and can be solved using various methods.

2. What is the standard form of a quadratic equation?

The standard form of a quadratic equation is ax^2 + bx + c = 0, where a, b, and c are constants and a is not equal to 0. This form is also known as the general form of a quadratic equation.

3. How do you solve a quadratic equation using the quadratic formula?

The quadratic formula is x = (-b ± √(b^2 - 4ac)) / 2a. To solve a quadratic equation using this formula, plug in the values of a, b, and c into the formula and solve for x using the order of operations.

4. Can all quadratic equations be solved using the quadratic formula?

Yes, the quadratic formula can be used to solve all quadratic equations, regardless of the values of a, b, and c. However, there are other methods, such as factoring and completing the square, that can also be used to solve quadratic equations.

5. What are the two solutions to a quadratic equation?

A quadratic equation can have two solutions, one solution, or no solution. The two solutions, also known as roots, are the values of x that make the equation true. These can be found using the quadratic formula or other methods of solving quadratic equations.