Solving a Rookie QB's Trajectory Problem

In summary, the time to reach the highest point of the trajectory is 2.04 seconds, the height of the highest point is 128.6 m, the time to reach the original level is also 2.04 seconds, and the horizontal distance traveled is 38.76 m.
Musicman
Ok I think i am getting the hang of this stuff. But,

A rookie quaterback throws a football with an initial upward velocity component of 16.0 m/s and a horizontal velocity component of 19.0 m/s. Ignore air resistance.

a. how much time is required for the ball to reach the highes point of trajectory? Ok I did 19=1/2(9.8)t^2 to get my time which comes out to 1.96. However, it said the answer is wrong, but i used the y=1/2gt^2 because it is in the horizontal direction.

b. how high is this point?

c. how much time after it is thrown for the ball to reach its original level?
i thought this would be the same as part A

d. how far has it traveled horizontally during this time?
i know i would use d=vt, but i would need to know my time which i don't see how it is incorrect.

oh wait, should i have used 16 in place of the 19?

Physics news on Phys.org
For part a, you are correct in using the equation y = 1/2gt^2. However, the initial velocity for this equation should be the vertical velocity, which is 16 m/s. So, using y = 1/2(9.8)t^2 with an initial velocity of 16 m/s gives you a time of 2.04 seconds. For part b, the height of the highest point of the trajectory can be found by substituting the time from part a into the equation y = vt - 1/2gt^2. This gives you a height of 128.6 m. For part c, the time it takes for the ball to reach its original level is the same as the time to reach its highest point, which is 2.04 seconds. For part d, the distance traveled horizontally can be found by using the equation d = vt, where v is the horizontal velocity (19 m/s) and t is the time (2.04 seconds). This gives you a horizontal distance of 38.76 m.

I would like to provide a more accurate and detailed explanation for solving this problem. Firstly, it is important to note that in projectile motion, we can analyze the vertical and horizontal components separately. This means that the initial horizontal velocity of 19.0 m/s does not affect the vertical motion of the football.

a. To find the time required for the ball to reach the highest point of its trajectory, we need to focus on the vertical component. Using the equation y = y0 + v0y*t - 1/2gt^2, where y0 is the initial height (which we can assume to be 0 since the ball is thrown from the ground), v0y is the initial vertical velocity of 16.0 m/s, and g is the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s^2), we can rearrange the equation to solve for t. This gives us t = v0y/g = 16.0/9.8 = 1.63 seconds. This is the time it takes for the ball to reach its highest point in the y direction.

b. To find the height of this point, we can use the same equation y = y0 + v0y*t - 1/2gt^2 and plug in the value of t we just found. This gives us y = 0 + 16.0*1.63 - 1/2*9.8*(1.63)^2 = 13.14 meters. So the highest point of the trajectory is 13.14 meters above the ground.

c. To find the time it takes for the ball to reach its original level, we can use the same equation with y = 0, since the ball starts and ends at the same level. This gives us 0 = 0 + 16.0*t - 1/2*9.8*t^2. Solving for t, we get t = 0 or t = 3.27 seconds. However, the time t = 0 does not make sense in this context, so we can ignore it and conclude that the ball takes 3.27 seconds to return to its original level.

d. To find the horizontal distance traveled during this time, we can use the equation x = x0 + v0x*t, where x0 is the initial horizontal position (again, we can assume it to be 0

1. How do you determine a rookie QB's trajectory?

The trajectory of a rookie QB can be determined by analyzing their performance in games, practices, and training sessions. Factors such as accuracy, decision-making, arm strength, and ability to read defenses can all contribute to their trajectory.

2. What are the main challenges in solving a rookie QB's trajectory problem?

One of the main challenges in solving a rookie QB's trajectory problem is the limited amount of data available. Unlike veteran QBs, rookies have a smaller sample size to evaluate their performance. Another challenge is the unpredictability of how a rookie will adjust to the speed and complexity of the NFL game.

3. Can a rookie QB's trajectory change over time?

Yes, a rookie QB's trajectory can change over time. With experience and training, a rookie can improve their skills and performance, leading to a different trajectory than initially predicted. However, other factors such as injuries, coaching changes, and team dynamics can also impact a rookie's trajectory.

4. How important is coaching in shaping a rookie QB's trajectory?

Coaching is crucial in shaping a rookie QB's trajectory. The right coaching can help a rookie develop their skills, learn the playbook, and adjust to the speed and complexity of the NFL. On the other hand, poor coaching can hinder a rookie's development and negatively impact their trajectory.

5. Is it possible to accurately predict a rookie QB's trajectory?

While it is not possible to predict a rookie QB's trajectory with 100% accuracy, it is possible to make informed predictions based on their performance, skills, and other factors. However, many variables can impact a rookie's trajectory, making it challenging to make a precise prediction.