Solving an RC circuit question using Superposition

In summary, there is a circuit from Richard Dorfs Intro to Electric Circuits book with a switch that is shut for a long time and then opened at t=0. The question asks to find the i(t) across R11, which is found to be 66.67 - 16.666 eLaTeX Code: ^{-t/120} micro Amps using nodal analysis. The question then asks if using superposition, the current due to the 8V source and the capacitor should be added since they both send current towards R11 in the same direction. The answer is yes, they should be added until the circuit has settled. In the book, the current due to the capacitor is subtracted instead of added
ecy5maa
Hello,

The circuit attached below is from Richard Dorfs Intro to Electric Circuits book. The switch is shut for a long time and opened at t=0.

The question asks to find the i(t) across R11, which they use nodal analaysis and find it to be 66.67 - 16.666 e[tex]^{-t/120}[/tex] micro Amps, where 66.67 micro Amps is due to the 8 v source and - 16.666 e[tex]^{-t/120}[/tex] source due to the capacitorMy question is that if we use superposition instead, should the current due to the 8 v source and the capacitor be added since both send current towards R11 in the same direction?Thank you in advanceP.S since this is more a theoretical question, i thought best i post it here other than the Homework section

Attachments

• Capture1.JPG
    Capture1.JPG
    88.7 KB · Views: 740
Physics news on Phys.org
ecy5maa said:
Hello,

The circuit attached below is from Richard Dorfs Intro to Electric Circuits book. The switch is shut for a long time and opened at t=0.

The question asks to find the i(t) across R11, which they use nodal analaysis and find it to be 66.67 - 16.666 e[tex]^{-t/120}[/tex] micro Amps, where 66.67 micro Amps is due to the 8 v source and - 16.666 e[tex]^{-t/120}[/tex] source due to the capacitor

My question is that if we use superposition instead, should the current due to the 8 v source and the capacitor be added since both send current towards R11 in the same direction?

Thank you in advance

P.S since this is more a theoretical question, i thought best i post it here other than the Homework section

First, I think when the switch open, Cap is not going to send current to R11 in the same direction as the 8V battery. Because if you use super position to find the voltage at probe11 when the switch is closed, the voltage is lower than when the switch is open for a long time. The final voltage at this point will be 4V after the switch opened for a long time and let everything settle.

I have not think in detail how to do the calculation, but super position definitely will work. My guess is to treat the cap as a variable voltage source that slowly rise from initial voltage, with the time constant of RC where R = R10 and R11 in parallel and you have to calculate the thev. voltage or something like that to the final voltage of 4V. As I said, I am too lazy to go into the detail, but the answer is yes, you have to include the cap. until the circuit settle.

Last edited:
Yungman

I made a mistake above. The current due to the capacitor is 16.666 eLaTeX Code: ^{-t/120} not - 16.666 eLaTeX Code: ^{-t/120}.

However in the book instead of adding the current...they are subtracting them. This is what i don't get since both currents ( current due to the 8V voltage source and current due to the capacitor) are in the same direction

So shouldn't it be added and hence shouldn't the answer be 66.67 + 16.666 eLaTeX Code: ^{-t/120} and not 66.67 - 16.666 eLaTeX Code: ^{-t/120}
Any help in this regard will be helpful...Also i don't have the book with me but the answer is correct.

Related to Solving an RC circuit question using Superposition

1. What is Superposition and how does it apply to solving RC circuit questions?

Superposition is a principle in circuit analysis that states that the response of a linear circuit can be determined by considering the effects of each input separately. In other words, when solving an RC circuit question using Superposition, we break down the circuit into smaller parts and analyze each part individually, then combine the results to find the overall response.

2. How do I apply Superposition to an RC circuit question?

To apply Superposition to an RC circuit question, you first need to identify the different inputs in the circuit, such as voltage sources or current sources. Then, you will need to turn off all but one of the inputs and solve the circuit using traditional methods, such as Kirchhoff's laws. Repeat this process for each input, and then combine the results to find the total response of the circuit.

3. Can Superposition be used for any type of circuit?

Yes, Superposition can be used for any linear circuit, which means it follows Ohm's law and obeys Kirchhoff's laws. However, it is important to note that Superposition is not applicable to circuits with nonlinear elements, such as diodes or transistors.

4. Are there any limitations to using Superposition in RC circuit questions?

While Superposition can be a useful tool in solving RC circuit questions, it does have its limitations. It assumes that the circuit is linear and that all the components are independent. It also does not take into account any nonlinear effects, such as saturation or thermal effects. Additionally, Superposition is not applicable to circuits with dependent sources.

5. Are there any alternative methods to solving RC circuit questions?

Yes, there are other methods for solving RC circuit questions, such as using nodal analysis or mesh analysis. These methods may be more efficient for certain types of circuits, but Superposition can still be used as a complementary approach to check the results. It is always important to choose the method that is most suitable for the specific circuit being analyzed.