Solving Ball's Wall Impact Time w/Force & Mass

In summary, the problem involves a ball being pulled by a force given by ##F=kv^2##, where "k" includes the mass of the ball. The ball will run into a wall after traveling 10 meters with an initial speed of 1m/s and no other forces involved. The problem can be solved by setting up a differential equation and then integrating with respect to distance. The final velocity can be determined by using the initial speed at x = 0 as the initial condition.
An1MuS

Homework Statement

A ball is being pulled by a force given by ##F=kv^2##. Where "k" already includes the mass of the ball. After 10m it will run into a wall. The initial speed is 1m/s and there are no other forces involved. How much time does it take for the ball to hit the wall?

Homework Equations

##kv^2=\frac{dv}{dt}##

The Attempt at a Solution

So i know that this is a differential equation of separable variables.
##\frac{dv}{v^2}=kdt##
I probably should integrate both sides, but i don't know what limits i should use if any, and if I'm on the right track

##\int \frac{dv}{v^2}=\int kdt##

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
If the velocity at time t = 0 is equal to zero, then the ball never moves, and an infinite time is required to reach the wall. If the initial velocity is v0, then you can use that as the initial condition.

An1MuS said:

Homework Statement

A ball is being pulled by a force given by ##F=kv^2##. Where "k" already includes the mass of the ball. After 10m it will run into a wall. How much time does it take for the ball to hit the wall?

Homework Equations

##F=ma##

##kv^2=\frac{dv}{dt}##
? I thought F = kv2. dv/dt = a = F/m

The Attempt at a Solution

So i know that is a differential equation of separable variables.
##\frac{dv}{v^2}=kdt##
If i probably should integrate both sides, but i don't know what limits i should use if any, and if I'm on the right track

##\int \frac{dv}{v^2}=\int kdt##

You want to express position as a function of time. You have to know its initial speed. Is the initial speed (at 10 m from the wall) = 0? Is there any other force on the ball (eg. friction)? Can you state the whole problem as given?

AM

Don't forget to include the mass when you replace F with ma. Yes, k contains the mass, but it's a separate equation from F = ma. Thus ##m a = k v^2##., and so ##a = (k/m)v^2##.

Andrew Mason said:
? I thought F = kv2. dv/dt = a = F/m
You want to express position as a function of time. You have to know its initial speed. Is the initial speed (at 10 m from the wall) = 0? Is there any other force on the ball (eg. friction)? Can you state the whole problem as given?

AM

The whole problem as given is actually a fluid mechanics problem where a ball is dropped and the drag force increases with speed squared. I just stated this one, because if i know how to solve this simpler case i should know how to solve the fluid mechanics one.

You guys are right, I updated the OP with the info you asked.

Last edited:
An1MuS said:
The whole problem as given is actually a fluid mechanics problem where a ball is dropped and the drag force increases with speed. I just stated this one, because if i know how to solve this simpler case i should know how to solve the fluid mechanics one.

You guys are right, I updated the OP with the info you asked.
If it is a drag force, the acceleration is negative. Are you sure that F = kv2 and not F = -kv2?

AM

Andrew Mason said:
If it is a drag force, the acceleration is negative. Are you sure that F = kv2 and not F = -kv2?

AM

In the fluid problem it's negative, but for the sake of learning, i put it positive to be simpler. Then it's just a matter of me putting a minus sign in the fluid exercise where it's needed. I made up this exercise avoiding fluid mechanics jargon so that more people could understand (and reply to) the exercise, and also because i just need to understand the underlying principle of solving this (simpler) exercise for me to solve the fluid mechanics one. Hope this makes sense...

Chestermiller said:
If the velocity at time t = 0 is equal to zero, then the ball never moves, and an infinite time is required to reach the wall. If the initial velocity is v0, then you can use that as the initial condition.

absolutely correct if initial velocity is 0 the force never gets a chance to act

An1MuS said:
In the fluid problem it's negative, but for the sake of learning, i put it positive to be simpler. Then it's just a matter of me putting a minus sign in the fluid exercise where it's needed. I made up this exercise avoiding fluid mechanics jargon so that more people could understand (and reply to) the exercise, and also because i just need to understand the underlying principle of solving this (simpler) exercise for me to solve the fluid mechanics one. Hope this makes sense...
You have to find the solution to this differential equation:

dv/dt = kv2/m

dv/v2 = kdt/m

That should be easily solved using integration, using the value for the initial speed at t=0.AM

Andrew Mason said:
You have to find the solution to this differential equation:

dv/dt = kv2/m

dv/v2 = kdt/m

That should be easily solved using integration, using the value for the initial speed at t=0.AM

"m" should already be inside k.

##kt=\frac {-1}{v_f}- (-\frac {1}{v_i})## where ##v_i=1## But then where do the 10meters come in? And what about ##v_f##?

You should really be integrating with respect to x, rather than with respect to t, by substituting v(dv/dx) for dv/dt. That way you can find the velocity directly at x = 10.

An1MuS said:
"m" should already be inside k.
What does that mean? You have written F = kv2. F = ma so a = kv2/m unless you want to dispute Newton's second law.

##kt=\frac {-1}{v_f}- (-\frac {1}{v_i})## where ##v_i=1## But then where do the 10meters come in? And what about ##v_f##?
Take Chestermiller's suggestion and integrate with respect to distance.

AM

Andrew Mason said:
What does that mean? You have written F = kv2. F = ma so a = kv2/m unless you want to dispute Newton's second law. Take Chestermiller's suggestion and integrate with respect to distance.

AM

Y, you're right. So it should be

##F=mkv^2## so that it gives ##kv^2 = \frac {dv}{dt}##

Integrating in respect to x, is this it?

##\int kv^2 dx = \int v\frac{dv}{dx}dx##

And if it's this i don't know how to continue

Also i don't understand this substitution ##\frac{dv}{dt}=v\frac{dv}{dx}##

An1MuS said:

No. That's not it. If

## kv^2 = v\frac{dv}{dx}##

then you can cancel a v out from both sides of the equation, and obtain:

## kv = \frac{dv}{dx}##

The solution to this differential equation is

##v=v_0e^{kx}##

The substitution ##\frac{dv}{dt}=v\frac{dv}{dx}## comes from ##v=\frac{dx}{dt}## so that ##dt=\frac{dx}{v}##

##\frac{dx}{dt}=v_0e^{kx}##

So, [tex]dt=\frac{e^{-kx}}{v_0}dx[/tex]
So, [tex]t=\frac{1-e^{-kx}}{kv_0}[/tex]

Last edited:
Likes 1 person
An1MuS said:

You have:

F = md2x/dt2 = mdv/dt = mkv2

That can be rearranged to:

dv/v2 = kdtSince v = dx/dt, dt = dx/v, so this becomes:

dv/v = kdx

Find the solution by integration and solve for xf-xi = 10m.

AM

Likes 1 person

Related to Solving Ball's Wall Impact Time w/Force & Mass

1. How do you calculate the impact time of a ball hitting a wall?

To calculate the impact time of a ball hitting a wall, you will need to know the force and mass of the ball. The impact time can be calculated using the equation: t = 2F/mg, where t is the impact time, F is the force, m is the mass of the ball, and g is the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s²).

2. What is the importance of knowing the impact time of a ball hitting a wall?

Knowing the impact time of a ball hitting a wall is important for understanding the amount of force and energy involved in the collision. It can also help in designing protective equipment, such as helmets, to reduce the impact force on the body.

3. How does the mass of the ball affect the impact time?

The mass of the ball has a direct effect on the impact time. As the mass increases, the impact time also increases. This means that a heavier ball will take longer to reach the wall and therefore, will have a longer impact time compared to a lighter ball.

4. What is the role of force in calculating the impact time of a ball hitting a wall?

The force is a crucial component in calculating the impact time of a ball hitting a wall. It determines the amount of energy involved in the collision and is directly proportional to the impact time. A higher force will result in a longer impact time, while a lower force will result in a shorter impact time.

5. Can the impact time be changed?

Yes, the impact time can be changed by altering the force or mass of the ball. Increasing the force or mass will result in a longer impact time, while decreasing them will result in a shorter impact time. Additionally, the surface and angle of the wall can also affect the impact time.