Solving Change of Variables: x^3 / (e^x - 1) dx

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of standard change of variables in solving integrals, specifically using the substitution z = x / (1 + x) or x = z / (1 - z). The individual is trying to solve an integral with the expression x^3 / (e^x - 1) dx but is having trouble obtaining the final result. They are seeking assistance in understanding the change of variables process.
Ryan000

Homework Statement

In the book it gave the example for standard change of variables as,
z = x / 1 + x or equivalently x = z / 1 - z , then

dx = dz / (1 - z)^2 , thus (2)

1 / (1 - z)^2 f (z / 1 - z) dz (3)

This is what I am trying to accomplish but with the expression x^3 / (e^x - 1) dx. So I can put this expression equal to z and find equivalent equal to x then find dx eq(2) then final result eq (3).

Homework Equations

integral of f(x) dx

The Attempt at a Solution

I found the derivative to be (3*x^2/(e^x - 1)) - (x^3 * e^x / (e^x - 1)^2) but not getting the final result like in equation (3) from above maybe I am doing change of variables wrong. I have seen the formulas with variables online but still not getting it. If someone could help that would be GREAT!

Physics news on Phys.org
Sorry you're just now getting a response. Welcome to PF!
they used the chain rule for the derivative
You start out with ##\int F(x)dx## and make the substiution ##x =\frac{z}{1-z}## and obtain ##\int F(\text{substitute here})dx## you also need to substitute dx for (some stuff)*dz. That (some stuff) is the differential of the substitution, or in other words ##\frac{dx}{dz}##

Ryan000 said:

Homework Statement

In the book it gave the example for standard change of variables as,
z = x / 1 + x or equivalently x = z / 1 - z , then
I'm positive that what you wrote is not what you meant.
You have ##z = \frac x 1 + x## and ##x = \frac z 1 - z##.

Since that's not what you intended, use parentheses around the denominators, like so:
z = x/(1 + x), and x = z/(1 - z).
Ryan000 said:
dx = dz / (1 - z)^2 , thus (2)

1 / (1 - z)^2 f (z / 1 - z) dz (3)

This is what I am trying to accomplish but with the expression x^3 / (e^x - 1) dx. So I can put this expression equal to z and find equivalent equal to x then find dx eq(2) then final result eq (3).

Homework Equations

integral of f(x) dx

The Attempt at a Solution

I found the derivative to be (3*x^2/(e^x - 1)) - (x^3 * e^x / (e^x - 1)^2) but not getting the final result like in equation (3) from above maybe I am doing change of variables wrong. I have seen the formulas with variables online but still not getting it. If someone could help that would be GREAT!

Related to Solving Change of Variables: x^3 / (e^x - 1) dx

1. What is the purpose of solving change of variables?

The purpose of solving change of variables is to simplify an integral by transforming it into an equivalent integral that is easier to evaluate. It can also help to solve a difficult integral that is not possible to solve using traditional methods.

2. How do you choose the appropriate change of variables?

The appropriate change of variables is chosen based on the structure of the integrand. A good rule of thumb is to look for a substitution that will make the integrand simpler, such as reducing it to a polynomial or a trigonometric function.

3. What is the general process for solving change of variables?

The general process for solving change of variables involves making a substitution of variables, simplifying the integrand using algebraic or trigonometric identities, and then integrating the transformed function to obtain the final solution.

4. Can any integral be solved using change of variables?

No, not all integrals can be solved using change of variables. Some integrals may require more advanced techniques or may not have a closed-form solution.

5. Are there any common mistakes to avoid when solving change of variables?

One common mistake to avoid is forgetting to substitute the limits of integration when transforming the integral. It is also important to choose a substitution that will not result in a more complicated or unsolvable integral.