Solving Circuit with Mesh Analysis

In summary, the conversation is about someone seeking help with solving a circuit for its currents using mesh analysis. They have tried nodal analysis and encountered difficulties. Another person points out an error in their equations and suggests a simpler solution. The original poster realizes their mistake and provides additional information about the circuit. The conversation ends with a solution being found.
jesuslovesu
[SOLVED] Mesh Analysis

Homework Statement

I am having trouble solving this circuit for its currents. I have also tried nodal analysis, and haven't been able to come up with anything

http://img90.imageshack.us/img90/4240/circuitfp2.th.jpg

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Can anyone check what's wrong with my mesh equations? I skipped the mesh with the independent voltage source (1A) and because I wasn't sure how to form a supernode with it. But I have enough equations to solve, but when I do I get the wrong answers.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Your current source isn't equal to i3 - i4.

Thanks for your reply, you're right i messed that equation
1 A = i3 + i4 ? right
Unfortunately, I still seem to be getting an incorrect answer (but they are very close to the correct answers) is there anything else I messed up? I forgot to draw the direction of ix on the picture but it is the current between v2 and v1 (thru the 5 ohm resistor). And I believe I did get the current correct on that one.

Last edited:
i3 is simply equal to 1 amp. There is no need for a loop equation for Loop(i3). This also makes the problem easier to solve.

Related to Solving Circuit with Mesh Analysis

1. What is mesh analysis and how does it work?

Mesh analysis is a method used to solve circuits that involves creating a set of equations based on the currents flowing through individual loops, or meshes, in the circuit. These equations can then be solved simultaneously to find the values of the currents and voltages in the circuit.

2. When should I use mesh analysis to solve a circuit?

Mesh analysis is most useful for circuits with multiple current sources and parallel branches. It is also helpful when trying to solve for a specific current or voltage in a circuit, as it allows for the creation of equations for each individual loop.

3. What are the steps for solving a circuit using mesh analysis?

The steps for solving a circuit with mesh analysis are as follows:

1. Identify all the loops in the circuit and assign a variable to represent the current flowing through each loop.
  2. Apply Kirchhoff's voltage law (KVL) to each loop, creating equations for each loop.
  3. Solve the resulting set of equations simultaneously to find the values of the currents and voltages in the circuit.

4. Can mesh analysis be used for circuits with only resistors?

Yes, mesh analysis can be used for circuits with only resistors. However, it may be more efficient to use other methods such as nodal analysis for these types of circuits.

5. Are there any limitations to using mesh analysis to solve circuits?

Mesh analysis may become more complex and difficult to use for circuits with a large number of meshes or multiple dependent sources. In these cases, other methods such as nodal analysis or Thevenin's theorem may be more suitable.