Solving circuits using mesh analysis

In summary: I think you should use what works for you, but having more than one tool in your toolbox will make your life easier :smile:
jeromec92
Hi guys,
is there anyway i can solve the voltage across the current source using Mesh Analysis. I already solved for the voltage across the current source using Nodal analysis. And btw, do you have any tips which technique is the best to use (Kirchoff's, Mesh, Nodal analysis) for different kinds of circuits. Thanks.

-Jerome

Attachments

• ask.jpg
    ask.jpg
    32.4 KB · Views: 484
Physics news on Phys.org
jeromec92 said:
Hi guys,
is there anyway i can solve the voltage across the current source using Mesh Analysis. I already solved for the voltage across the current source using Nodal analysis. And btw, do you have any tips which technique is the best to use (Kirchoff's, Mesh, Nodal analysis) for different kinds of circuits. Thanks.

-Jerome

Regarding solution methods, different circuits will "appeal" to you in different ways. Much depends upon how many techniques you are familiar with and your comfort level with each.

Sure you can use mesh analysis for this problem. Assume that the loop contained the current source is an already "solved" mesh that you don't have to worry about other than to include its "mesh" current (4A) in the current passing through R1 when you write the loop equations for the other loops. That is, there will be a "R1*(I2 - I1)" term for the middle loop.

Another approach that occurs to me is to convert I1 and R1 into a Thevenin equivalent voltage source and series resistance, leaving you two "standard" loops for mesh analysis. Remember that the voltage across R1 (and so the current source) in the original circuit is then equivalent to the voltage across the Thevenin voltage and its resistor.

gneill said:
Regarding solution methods, different circuits will "appeal" to you in different ways. Much depends upon how many techniques you are familiar with and your comfort level with each.

Sure you can use mesh analysis for this problem. Assume that the loop contained the current source is an already "solved" mesh that you don't have to worry about other than to include its "mesh" current (4A) in the current passing through R1 when you write the loop equations for the other loops. That is, there will be a "R1*(I2 - I1)" term for the middle loop.

Another approach that occurs to me is to convert I1 and R1 into a Thevenin equivalent voltage source and series resistance, leaving you two "standard" loops for mesh analysis. Remember that the voltage across R1 (and so the current source) in the original circuit is then equivalent to the voltage across the Thevenin voltage and its resistor.

Hello, Thank you very much. I finally got it! Anyway I prefer using nodal analysis rather than mesh and kirchoff's. What do you think?

jeromec92 said:
Hello, Thank you very much. I finally got it! Anyway I prefer using nodal analysis rather than mesh and kirchoff's. What do you think?

I think you should use what works for you, but having more than one tool in your toolbox will make your life easier :smile:

Hello Jerome,

Yes, it is possible to solve for the voltage across a current source using Mesh Analysis. In fact, Mesh Analysis is a commonly used technique for solving circuits, especially those with multiple current sources.

In terms of which technique is best to use, it really depends on the specific circuit and your personal preference. Kirchoff's Laws, Mesh Analysis, and Nodal Analysis are all valid methods for solving circuits, but some may be more efficient for certain types of circuits. For example, Mesh Analysis is often used for circuits with multiple current sources, while Nodal Analysis may be better suited for circuits with multiple voltage sources.

My advice would be to familiarize yourself with all three techniques and practice using them on different types of circuits. This will help you determine which method works best for you in different scenarios. Remember, the most important thing is to accurately solve the circuit and reach the correct results.

Best of luck with your circuit analysis endeavors!

Sincerely,

1. What is mesh analysis?

Mesh analysis is a method used to solve complex electrical circuits by dividing them into smaller loops or meshes. It involves applying Kirchhoff's voltage law (KVL) to each mesh to determine the currents flowing through the branches of the circuit.

2. When is mesh analysis used?

Mesh analysis is typically used to solve circuits with multiple current sources, as it allows for a more systematic and organized approach compared to other methods such as nodal analysis. It is also useful for circuits with several parallel branches.

3. How is mesh analysis different from nodal analysis?

Nodal analysis involves applying Kirchhoff's current law (KCL) at each node in a circuit, while mesh analysis involves applying KVL to each mesh. Nodal analysis is better suited for circuits with several voltage sources, while mesh analysis is better for circuits with multiple current sources.

4. What are the steps for solving a circuit using mesh analysis?

The steps for solving a circuit using mesh analysis are as follows:

1. Identify the meshes in the circuit and label them.
  2. Assign a variable for the current in each mesh.
  3. Write down KVL equations for each mesh, using the assigned variables.
  4. Solve the resulting system of equations to determine the currents in each mesh.
  5. Use Ohm's law to calculate the voltages and currents in the rest of the circuit.

5. What are the limitations of mesh analysis?

Mesh analysis can only be used for circuits with a specific structure, such as those with current sources and parallel branches. It also becomes more complex as the number of meshes and components in the circuit increases. Additionally, it is not suitable for circuits with non-linear elements, such as diodes or transistors.