Solving Dieterici's Equation: Critical Pressure for a,b & R

• Thread starter John O' Meara
  • Start date
In summary: \\ \mbox{ for the critical volume and temperature } v_c \ \mbox{ and
John O' Meara
Dieterici's equation ( an alternative to Van der waal's equation) states that the pressure p, volume v and absolute temperature T of a mass of gas are connected by the equation
[tex] p=\frac{RT}{(v-b)}\exp{\frac{-a}{vRT}} \\ [/tex],
where a, b and R are constants. Verify that both [tex] \frac{{\partial p}}{{\partial v}} = 0 \\[/tex]
and [tex] \frac{{\partial^2 p}}{{\partial^2 v}} =0 \\[/tex], for the critical volume and temperature [tex] v_c [/tex] and [tex] T_c [/tex] respectively,where [tex] v_c = 2b [/tex]and [tex] T_c = \frac{a}{4bR} \\ [/tex]. What is the value of [tex] p_c [/tex] the critical pressure in terms of a,b and e?
I have a question in solving this: namely is [tex] \frac{d\exp{\frac{-a}{vRT}}}{dv} = \frac{d \exp{\frac{-a}{vRT}}}{d v^{-1}} \frac{d v^{-1}}{dv} \\ [/tex] Because I don't think so: could someone explain what the l.h.s. is equal to. Thanks for the help.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
[tex]\frac{d exp(\frac{-\alpha}{vRT})}{dv}= exp(\frac{-\alpha}{vRT})\frac{d\frac{-\alpha}{vRT}}{dv}= exp(\frac{-\alpha}{vRT})\frac{\alpha}{v^2RT}[/tex]

That's because
[tex]\frac{d \frac{A}{v}}{dv}= \frac{d Av^{-1}}{dv}= -Av^{-2}[/tex]
for any constant A.

HallsofIvy said:
[tex]\frac{d exp(\frac{-\alpha}{vRT})}{dv}= exp(\frac{-\alpha}{vRT})\frac{d\frac{-\alpha}{vRT}}{dv}= exp(\frac{-\alpha}{vRT})\frac{\alpha}{v^2RT}[/tex]

Ok, I finally got to this step. But how do I take the 2nd derivative of this last result? It's gnarly.

Ok,

I think I got the 2nd derivative, and then I set both 1st and 2nd derivative to zero.
Now I have 3 equations (original, 1st derivative, 2nd derivative), but how many unknowns? I know that V is an unknown, but isn't T also an unknown? I treated it as a constant.

Do I solve for V in the 1st derivative and plug it into the 2nd derivative?

This is all very confusing . . .

[tex] \frac{{\partial p}}{{\partial v}} = \frac{{\partial}}{{\partial v}} (\frac{RT}{v-b}\exp^{\frac{-a}{vRT}}) \\ [/tex]
which [tex] = \exp^{\frac{-a}{vRT}} \frac{{\partial }}{{\partial v}}(\frac{RT}{v-b}) + \frac{RT}{v-b} \frac{{\partial }}{{ \partial v}}(\exp^{\frac{-a}{vRT}}) \\ [/tex].
Now use HallsofIvy's equation to evaluate the second term of the product rule expression to get the following:
[tex]\frac{RT}{(v-b)^2}\exp^{\frac{-a}{vRT}} - \frac{a}{(v-b)v^2} \exp^{\frac{-a}{vRT}} \\ = \exp^{\frac{-a}{vRT}}(\frac{RT}{(v-b)^2} - \frac{a}{(v-b)v^2}) \\ [/tex] [tex]\mbox{ For the critical volume } \ v_c \ \mbox{ and the critical temperature } \ T_c \\ \ \frac{{\partial p}}{{\partial v}}= \exp^{-2}( \frac{a}{4b(b)^2} - \frac{a}{b4b^2})=0 [/tex]

What is Dieterici's Equation and why is it important?

Dieterici's Equation is an empirical equation used to predict the behavior of gases at high pressures. It is important in understanding the critical pressure of a gas, which is the pressure at which the gas can no longer be liquefied.

What are the variables in Dieterici's Equation?

The variables in Dieterici's Equation are a, b, and R. 'a' represents the molecular interactions within the gas, 'b' represents the volume occupied by the gas molecules, and 'R' is the gas constant.

How is Dieterici's Equation solved for the critical pressure?

To solve for the critical pressure using Dieterici's Equation, the values of a, b, and R are plugged into the equation, along with the known temperature and volume of the gas. The resulting critical pressure can then be calculated.

What units are used in Dieterici's Equation?

Dieterici's Equation is typically used with units of pressure in atmospheres (atm), temperature in Kelvin (K), and volume in liters (L).

Can Dieterici's Equation be used for all gases?

No, Dieterici's Equation is not applicable to all gases. It is best suited for gases that have strong molecular interactions, such as polar gases or gases with large molecules. It may not accurately predict the behavior of gases with weak molecular interactions.