Solving Diffusion PDE in a Hollow Cylinder

In summary, the individual is solving a diffusion PDE for their system using separation of variables and has obtained two ODEs. They are seeking help to solve the equations given their boundary and initial conditions for a hollow cylinder. They have determined that the four unknowns can be reduced to three based on the number of conditions provided.
wenzhe2092
Dear all,

I'm trying to solve the diffusion PDE for my system, shown below:

[tex]
\frac{\partial C}{\partial t} = D (\frac{\partial^2 C}{\partial r^2} + \frac{1}{r} \frac{\partial C}{\partial r})
[/tex]

where C is the concentration, changing with time t and radius r. D is the diffusion coefficient.

I'm solving this using separation of variables, giving me two ODE.

[tex] T = Aexp (-\lambda^2 D t) [/tex]

where [tex]-\lambda^2 [/tex] is the separation constant and A is the integration constant

[tex] R(r) = BJ_{0}(\lambda r) + CY_{0} (\lambda r) [/tex]

Principle solution given by:

[tex] C(r,t) = Aexp (-\lambda^2 D t) [BJ_{0}(\lambda r) + CY_{0} (\lambda r)] [/tex]

My question is, given the boundary conditions and initial conditions of:

C(0.0135,t) = 0.433
C(0.0185,t) = 0
C(r,0) = 0.0398

How would i be able to solve this? I'm really stuck and any help would be appreciated. Note my system is a hollow cylinder.

Physics news on Phys.org
wenzhe2092 said:
Dear all,

Principle solution given by:

[tex] C(r,t) = Aexp (-\lambda^2 D t) [BJ_{0}(\lambda r) + CY_{0} (\lambda r)] [/tex]

My question is, given the boundary conditions and initial conditions of:

C(0.0135,t) = 0.433
C(0.0185,t) = 0
C(r,0) = 0.0398

How would i be able to solve this? I'm really stuck and any help would be appreciated. Note my system is a hollow cylinder.

Look like the four unknowns A, B, C and [itex]\lambda[/itex] can just be reduced to three unknown. You only have three boundary and initial conditions.:wink:

Related to Solving Diffusion PDE in a Hollow Cylinder

1. What is diffusion PDE and how does it relate to a hollow cylinder?

Diffusion PDE (Partial Differential Equation) is a mathematical equation that describes the movement or flow of a substance over time. In the context of a hollow cylinder, diffusion PDE can be used to model the distribution of a substance within the cylinder and how it changes over time due to diffusion.

2. What is the process for solving diffusion PDE in a hollow cylinder?

The process for solving diffusion PDE in a hollow cylinder involves setting up the appropriate boundary conditions, initial conditions, and diffusion equation. This can then be solved using various numerical methods such as finite difference, finite element, or spectral methods.

3. What factors influence the diffusion process in a hollow cylinder?

The diffusion process in a hollow cylinder can be influenced by various factors such as the concentration gradient, the diffusion coefficient of the substance, the size and shape of the cylinder, and any external sources or sinks of the substance.

4. How can the solution of a diffusion PDE in a hollow cylinder be visualized?

The solution of a diffusion PDE in a hollow cylinder can be visualized using various techniques such as contour plots, surface plots, or animation. These visualizations can help to understand the behavior of the substance within the cylinder and how it changes over time.

5. What are some real-world applications of solving diffusion PDE in a hollow cylinder?

Solving diffusion PDE in a hollow cylinder has many practical applications, such as modeling drug diffusion in a hollow organ, predicting the spread of pollutants in a water distribution system, or understanding the distribution of nutrients in plant roots. It can also be used in industries such as chemical engineering and materials science to optimize processes and designs.