Solving Dissipating Charge Physics Problem

• Thread starter Saketh
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Charge
In summary, the conversation discusses a physics problem involving two charged spheres suspended by silk threads. The rate of charge loss is being sought, with the approach velocity varying as the inverse square root of distance. Different approaches are explored, including using angular speed and solving for q and approximating theta with x/l. The correct answer is found to be 3/2 times a times the square root of 2 times pi times epsilon_0 times m times g divided by l.
Saketh
A friend of mine has given me a physics problem to solve. Here it is:
Two small equally charged spheres, each of mass [itex]m[/itex], are suspended from the same point by silk threads of length [itex]\ell[/itex]. The distance between the spheres [itex]x << \ell[/itex]. Find the rate [tex]\frac{dq}{dt}[/tex] with which the charge leaks off each sphere if their approach velocity varies as [tex]v = \frac{a}{\sqrt{x}}[/tex], where [itex]a[/itex] is a constant.​
I started by writing down the forces:
[tex]mg\tan{\theta} = \frac{q^2}{4\pi \epsilon_0 x^2}[/tex]
Since [itex]x << \ell[/itex], I concluded that [itex]\sin{\theta} \approx \tan{\theta}[/itex]. I rewrote the above force equation with sin instead of tan.

After this, I started doing things randomly. At first, I tried using angular speed with [itex]\ell[/itex] as the radius of rotation, but that seemed unnecessarily complicated.

So I went back and differentiated both sides of the first equation. I don't know if this is correct, but I let [itex]\cos{\theta}[/itex] be 1 since [itex]\theta \approx 0[/itex]. So, using the quotient rule, I had:
[tex]mg = \frac{1}{2\pi \epsilon_0}\frac{q^2(\frac{dx}{dt}) - q\frac{dq}{dt}}{x^3}[/tex]
At this point, since [itex]\frac{dx}{dt} = \frac{a}{\sqrt{x}}[/itex], I started substituting things in. However, I ended up with charge as a function of time, distance as a function of time, and the time derivative of the charge function all in one equation - unsolvable.

The other way that I tried it was to start from the premise that [itex]\ell \frac{d\theta}{dt} = \frac{a}{\sqrt{x}}[/itex] and go from there. But I don't know if this is the correct way either.

Basically, I have no idea what I'm doing. My friend said this is an easy problem, but I am stumped. Am I approaching this incorrectly?

Thanks for the assistance.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Solve your original equation for q and approximate [itex]\theta[/itex] with x/l. Then differentiate q with respect to time. You should end up with dq/dt being constant within this approximation.

[Note: you may need to make minor adjustments to the preceding depending on whether your angle is the half-angle or full angle.]

I don't think one should assume that the spheres are in equilibrium. That is

[tex]T\sin(\theta) - F_Q = m\ddot{x}[/tex]

since

[tex]v_x(x) \Rightarrow v_x(t)[/tex]

Last edited:
Tide said:
Solve your original equation for q and approximate [itex]\theta[/itex] with x/l. Then differentiate q with respect to time. You should end up with dq/dt being constant within this approximation.

[Note: you may need to make minor adjustments to the preceding depending on whether your angle is the half-angle or full angle.]
Thanks - I have found my errors now. I had to approximate [itex]\theta[/itex] with [itex]\frac{x}{2\ell}[/itex].

For those who are interested, the answer is:
[tex]
\frac{dq}{dt} = \frac{3}{2}a\sqrt{\frac{2\pi \epsilon_0 mg}{\ell}}
[/tex]

Related to Solving Dissipating Charge Physics Problem

1. What is dissipating charge in physics?

Dissipating charge refers to the process of a charged object losing its energy over time due to interactions with its surroundings. This can occur through various mechanisms such as resistance, radiation, and collisions with other particles.

2. How do you solve a dissipating charge physics problem?

To solve a dissipating charge physics problem, you first need to determine the initial charge and energy of the object and the rate at which it is dissipating. Then, you can use equations such as Ohm's Law and the Law of Conservation of Energy to calculate the final charge and energy of the object at a specific time or distance.

3. What factors affect the rate of dissipating charge?

The rate of dissipating charge can be affected by several factors such as the type of material the charged object is made of, the surrounding environment (e.g. temperature, humidity), the strength of the electric field, and the distance between the charged object and any conductors or insulators.

4. How is dissipating charge related to electric circuits?

In electric circuits, dissipating charge is related to the concept of resistance. As the charged object moves through the circuit, it encounters resistance from the materials it passes through, causing it to lose energy and dissipate its charge. This is an important factor to consider in circuit analysis and design.

5. Can dissipating charge be prevented?

In most cases, it is not possible to prevent dissipating charge completely. However, it can be reduced by using materials with low resistance and minimizing the distance between the charged object and any conductors. Additionally, using insulating materials and controlling the surrounding environment can help decrease the rate of dissipating charge.