Solving Integral Equations: Find x from 1-x+ ∫^x_1 (sin t/t) dt

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the solution for ##x## in the equation ##1-x+\int^x_1 \frac{\sin t}{t} \ dt = 0##. The speaker is able to manually calculate the answer to be ##x=1##, but is looking for a mechanical method for similar problems. The responder mentions that the function ##{\sin x\over x}## is not integrable and suggests investigating the domain [0,x] to find other solutions. The speaker thanks the responder for their help.
Rectifier
Gold Member
The problem
I want to find ##x## which solves ## 1-x+ \int^x_1 \frac{\sin t}{t} \ dt = 0 ##

The attempt
##\int^x_1 \frac{\sin t}{t} \ dt = x -1 ## I see that the answer is ##x=1## but I want to be able to calculate it mechanically in case if I get similar problem with other elements. Any suggestions on how I can do that?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi,
'mechanically' sounds good. But, ##{\sin x\over x}## is (and I https://owlcation.com/stem/How-to-Integrate-sinxx-and-cosxx )

one of the simplest examples of non-integrable functions in the sense that their antiderivatives cannot be expressed in terms of elementary functions, in other words, they don't have closed-form antiderivatives.​

However, apart from ##x=1## there shouldn't be too many other solutions ... ##x-1## grows faster than the integral.
You could also investigate domain [0,x] : with ##{\sin x\over x} < 1## the integral is always different from x-1.

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes Rectifier
Okay, thank your for your help.

Related to Solving Integral Equations: Find x from 1-x+ ∫^x_1 (sin t/t) dt

1. What is an integral equation?

An integral equation is a mathematical equation that involves an unknown function under an integral sign. It can be used to model a variety of physical, biological, and economic phenomena.

2. How do you solve an integral equation?

The method for solving an integral equation depends on the type of equation and the specific problem it represents. One common approach is to use the method of successive approximations, where the equation is solved iteratively until a solution is found.

3. What is the role of the integral in this equation?

The integral in this equation represents the area under the curve of the function being integrated. In this case, it is used to find the value of x that satisfies the equation.

4. Can this integral equation be solved analytically?

Yes, some integral equations can be solved analytically, but it depends on the specific equation and its complexity. In many cases, numerical methods may be used to approximate a solution.

5. How can integral equations be applied in real-world problems?

Integral equations are used in a wide range of fields, including physics, engineering, economics, and biology. They can be used to model complex systems and make predictions about their behavior. For example, they are commonly used in signal processing to extract information from noisy data.