Solving Integrals with Exponents: A Step-by-Step Guide

In summary, the student is trying to use the "chain rule with integration" but is having difficulty. The "chain rule with differentiation" says that if f(x)= g(u(x)) for some differentiable function u, then df/dx= (dg/du)(du/dx). However, when trying to do the "opposite", substituting in the integral for u(x), \int g(u(x))dx, the student runs into a problem.
PhysicsBoyMan

Homework Statement

Evaluate the integral to find the area.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
IMG_2118.jpg

gifs upload

So I know how to find an anti-derivative for the most part. Here it's tricky because my equation has an exponent AKA square root. I tried to use the chain rule with anti-differentiation. My result was 0. I'm not sure how to deal with that exponent AKA square root.

Physics news on Phys.org
PhysicsBoyMan said:
I tried to use the chain rule with anti-differentiation.
Never heard of that. It doesn't seem to work, does it? Try to use the substitution method with the help of trigonometric identity, remember that ##a^2\sin^2\theta + a^2\cos^2\theta = a^2##.
Note: exponent is not the same as square root.

The "chain rule with integration" is "substitution"- but you are doing it wrong.
If you had [itex]\int (ax- b)^n dx[/itex] then you could let u= ax- b so that du= adx and dx= du/a. Replacing ax- b by u and dx by du/a, the integral becomes [itex]\int u^n (du/a)[/itex] and because a is a constant we can take it out and get [itex]\frac{1}{a}\int u^n du[/tex].

But if we have [itex]\int (cos(x)- b)^n dx[/itex] and try to do the same thing, we run into a problem. Letting u= cos(x)- b, we have du= -sin(x)dx so that dx= -du/cos(x). Putting those into the integral, [itex]\int u^n (du/cos(x))[/itex]. But now we cannot take "cos(x)" outside the integral because it is NOT a constant! And we cannot integrate cos(x) with respect to u.

The "chain rule" with differentiation says that if f(x)= g(u(x)) for some differentiable function u, then df/dx= (dg/du)(du/dx). That is, we multiply together the derivatives of g with respect to u and u with respect to x. But doing the "opposite", substituting in the integral for u(x), [itex]\int g(u(x))dx[/itex] we cannot just do the integration with respect to u of g and then multiply by the integral of g. We have to have something line [itex]\int g(u(x))u'(x)dx[/itex]. u'dx= du so the integral becomes [itex]\int g(u)du[/itex]. But the derivative, u', has to already be in the integral. We cannot just multiply as we can with differentiation.

Likes blue_leaf77
PhysicsBoyMan said:

Homework Statement

Evaluate the integral to find the area.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B][/B]
IMG_2118.jpg

gifs upload
You have errors on every line of the work you have done. Here is your work, reproduced using LaTeX, with comments.
##\int_0^{\sqrt{19}} \sqrt{19 - h^2} dh##
##= (19 - h^2)^{1/2}## No. All you have done is to remove the integration symbol.
##= \frac{2(19 - h^2)^{1/2}}{3} \cdot (19h - \left. \frac{h^3}{3}) \right|_0^{\sqrt{19}}## See comment below.
##= 0## Not a reasonable answer. The integral represents the area of a quarter-circle, whose area is not zero.

From above:
No, this isn't how it works. To get ##19h - \frac{h^3} 3## you integrated ##19 - h^2## but ignored the fact that ##19 - h^2## is raised to the 1/2 power. You can verify that your integration is incorrect by differentiating your antiderivative. For example, ##\int x^3 dx = \frac {x^4} 4 + C##. If I differentiate ##\frac {x^4} 4 + C##, I get ##x^3##, the integrand I started with.

1. What is an integral?

An integral is a mathematical concept that represents the area under a curve on a graph. It is used to find the total accumulation of a function over a given interval, and can also be used to find the antiderivative of a function.

2. How do I solve integrals with exponents?

To solve integrals with exponents, you will need to use integration techniques such as substitution, integration by parts, or trigonometric substitution. You may also need to use algebraic manipulation to simplify the integrand before integrating.

3. What is the step-by-step process for solving integrals with exponents?

The step-by-step process for solving integrals with exponents includes: 1) Simplifying the integrand, if possible. 2) Choosing an appropriate integration technique based on the form of the integrand. 3) Applying the chosen technique to solve the integral. 4) Checking your solution using differentiation to ensure it is correct.

4. Are there any common mistakes to avoid when solving integrals with exponents?

Some common mistakes to avoid when solving integrals with exponents include: forgetting to include the constant of integration, forgetting to change the limits of integration when using substitution, and making errors in algebraic simplification of the integrand.

5. How can I check if my solution to an integral with exponents is correct?

You can check your solution by differentiating it and comparing it to the original integrand. If they are the same, then your solution is likely correct. You can also use online tools or graphing calculators to graph both the original function and the antiderivative to visually check if they match.