Solving Plane Intg. Homework w/ Var. Change

In summary, xepma suggests that one of the bounds in the original integral be altered in order to get the correct answer.
Kruum

Homework Statement

Determine [tex] \int \int_D (x^2+y^2)dA[/tex], where D is the area in the first quadrant of the xy-plane restricted by y=0, y=x, xy=1 and x^2-y^2=1, using variable change.

Homework Equations

Here's a picture of the situation:
http://www.aijaa.com/img/b/00050/3858610.jpg

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm out of ideas here, the only thing I came up with is to use polar coordinates. That would give me [tex] \int_0^{ \pi /4} \int_0^? r^3drd \theta[/tex]. As you can probably see, I have no clue as to what the limits are for r...

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Stick with the original integral, and break it down into two segments. The first segment is the area bounded by:

y = 0
y = x
x = 1

The integral over this segment is:
[tex] \int_0^1\left(\int_0^x (x^2+y^2) dy\right)dx[/tex]

You should have no trouble evaluating this integral.

What remains is the integral over the area bounded by the three curves:
x = 1 (lower bound for x)
y=1/x (upper bound for y)
x^2 - y^2 = 1, e.g. [tex]y = +\sqrt{x^2-1}[/tex] (lower bound for y). Note that x>1.

Note that [tex]y = +\sqrt{x^2-1}[/tex] and y=1/x intersect at the point where

[tex] \frac{1}{x_{\textrm{max}}} = \sqrt{x^2_{\textrm{max}}-1}[/tex]
Solve this equation to get the upperbound for x( [tex]\equiv x_{\textrm{max}}[/tex])

What remains is the integral with all bounds included:
[tex]\int_1^{x_{\textrm{max}}} \left[\int_{\sqrt{x^2-1}}^{1/x}(x^2 + y^2)dy \right]dx[/tex]

Which you should be able to compute. Don't forget to add both integrals for the final answer.

Thanks for the reply, xepma. But the problem states that we have to solve this using variable change. So you're suggestion is of no use to me, though it would work.

Okay, I've found two possible ways to do this. If I let u=xy and v=x^2-y^2 I get an integral that looks like [tex] \int_0^1 \int_0^1 - \frac{1}{2} dvdu[/tex], which gives me [tex]- \frac{1}{2} [/tex], but the correct answer is [tex] \frac{1}{2} [/tex].

If I choose u=x^2-y^2 and v=xy, I get almost the same calculation: [tex] \int_0^1 \int_0^1 \frac{1}{2} dvdu[/tex]. So the Jacobian determinant gives me [tex] \frac{1}{2} [/tex] instead of [tex]- \frac{1}{2} [/tex].

I can get the right answer by altering one of the bounds in case 1. I'm just wondering, which one should I alter and why?

The sign of a determinant depends on the order of the rows or columns which is not relevant here.
The differential is the absolute value of the Jacobian determinant so you get 1/2 in either case.

HallsofIvy said:
The differential is the absolute value of the Jacobian determinant so you get 1/2 in either case.

Thanks a lot, HallsofIvy! You really saved my butt. Our teacher uses the same method of denoting absolute value and determinant, so it's easy to confuse them.

1. How do I solve plane integration homework with variable change?

To solve plane integration homework with variable change, you first need to identify the variable that you want to change to. This variable is usually denoted by u or v. Then, use the chain rule to express the original integrand in terms of the new variable. Finally, integrate the new expression with respect to the new variable and substitute back in the original variable at the end.

2. What is the purpose of using variable change in plane integration?

The purpose of using variable change in plane integration is to simplify the integrand and make it easier to integrate. By changing the variable, we can often transform a complicated integral into a simpler one that can be evaluated more easily.

3. Can I use any variable for the variable change in plane integration?

Yes, you can use any variable for the variable change in plane integration. However, it is common to use u or v as they are easy to work with and are typically used in examples and textbooks.

4. What are some common variable changes used in plane integration?

Some common variable changes used in plane integration include u-substitution, trigonometric substitution, and polar coordinates. These variable changes are useful for different types of integrals and can help simplify the integration process.

5. How do I know when to use variable change in plane integration?

You should use variable change in plane integration when the integrand is too complicated to integrate directly. Look for patterns or functions in the integrand that can be simplified or transformed using a specific variable change. Practice and exposure to different types of integrals will also help you recognize when variable change is needed.